Some New Gadgets

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

D.Oliver

So this summer Doug (Alankulwicki7) came to Faith for a little visit. While he was here we talked about bowl turning. I showed Doug a bowl I had turned and he looked it over. He asked me how I was sanding them. (That bad huh?:redface:) I told him I was hand sanding. He said I should look into power sanding that I wouldn't regret it. So I took his advice, but me being me (I'm sure Wayne, Bob, and Doug won't be surprised by this) I made a set. I found a good write up here and followed it pretty closely. Here are my results.

IMG_0080.jpgIMG_0081.jpg

While I was making these I decided to go ahead and make an adjustable jig for sharpening my bowl gouges. I had seen this on a youtube video and printed the plans and had them around the shop for quite a while.
Here is a link to the video and if you look in the description of the video you will find a link to the plans themselves.

IMG_0084.jpg

And lastly I made a jig for sharpening my Olund tool. William (Triw51) made the tool for me.

IMG_0082.jpgIMG_0083.jpgIMG_0085.jpgIMG_0091.jpgIMG_0086.jpgIMG_0088.jpgIMG_0089.jpgIMG_0090.jpg

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

duncsuss

If you don't already own a "close quarters drill" (the kind with a 90 degree angle head) I can recommend it -- much easier to maintain control than using a regular drill when both the lathe and the drill are running.

I got this one from HF. They have a cheaper one that requires a key to operate the chuck -- save $10 or thereabouts going that way. (I'd be tempted to put a quick-change driver bit holder in the drill, no need to take that out of the chuck.)

stonepecker

Another thing to use to hold the sanding pads is a 90* air grinder. You don't have to run it. Just use the handle to hold the pads and let it free spin. Harbor Freight has them for $15.00 at times.

Very nice work there Derek. Do you have the plans for those sanding jigs?

D.Oliver

Another thing to use to hold the sanding pads is a 90* air grinder. You don't have to run it. Just use the handle to hold the pads and let it free spin. Harbor Freight has them for $15.00 at times.

Very nice work there Derek. Do you have the plans for those sanding jigs?

Considering the length of my list of "Things to do", I'm sure I can find at least of couple of turnings to try them out on!

bobleibo

When are you going to do a tutorial on that folding step stool/seat, the one that I could not fit in my bike to steal? I think that should move to the top of your to-do list.

D.Oliver

When are you going to do a tutorial on that folding step stool/seat. . . .

Oh SNAP! He said it, now ya gotta show it!!! (Please?) :rolleyes:

I don't have pictures of the stool I made and now that it has been adopted by stonepecker I can't just go snap some. Maybe I can get Wayne to take a couple pics of the stool. I based it off of a video by Steve Ramsay. Here is a link to Steve's video. My folding stool is very similar to his.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cWqoPBfUW6M

Last edited:

bobleibo

Is "adopted" a nice way of saying "inherited"?
Hey Wayne, we need some pictures and measurements of my step stool that is currently residing at your house.
Cheers~

Top Bottom