Some more de-pen tools

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
I know that most kits can be dismantled quite successfully with transfer punches, but I wanted to try a more subtle approach. Here are some working prototypes of some I've been working on.
I am also half finished one that will strip down a screw cap ( Junior size ) but need to head off to work shortly, so that will be next week.:rolleyes:

There are 4 tools in the pic. ( apologies for poor pic ):redface:
The first one on the left remove a nib from pens like Long Click and Jr Ballpoint and Jr Pencil or any with the same thread on the press in coupler.
Select the sleeve that slips over the coupler. Screw the tool onto the nib coupler, hold the little T bar and turn the dark pr part.

The one on second left is my favourite and works a treat. It works on the Long Click to get the mech out. Once the nib has been removed, slide the tool into the pen. Tighten the large nut to expand the rubber inside the tube. Turn the little T bar and out pops the mech. I love this one and I'm sure I can make one that fits several pen styles. This was tricky to make as it has sleeves inside sleeves. I had to hold a very small drill ( 4mm ) bit by the last few millimetres in the chuck to drill from both ends.

Next is the 3rd one. This removes the front nib section of Elegant Beauty's and similar. Unscrew the nib, remove refill, drop in the little 'slug'.
Now simply screw the tool in. Either the nib section or the mech end will pop out. Of all the ones I've tried, the nib comes out first.

The one on the right is used to remove the mech end of the EB and works similarly to the other T bar one. Except that the mech is removed first ( by just unscrewing it ) The tool then extends through the coupler. Now the handle is turned to tighten the rubber in the tube. Then the end with the knurl is unscrewed which removes the mech coupler. This works but I'll make future ones the same as the other T bar one as this needs an awfull lot of grip on the knurl to turn it. I can do it if I wear thick rubber garden type gloves. But the other tool needs very little effort.

All of them are dressed in Charlie's ( New London88) Dragons Breath PR.
I want to develope them more and have less tools to dismantle more pens.
If ( or rather when ) I get it right, then I might start selling them. So forgive me if I won't give detailed descriptions on how to make them.:cool:

I think they will be used ( hopefully ) less to dismantle damaged pens, but rather to accommodate that question we sometimes get.....
'Ooooh, that's nice....but can I get it with a gold finsh instead of silver? ':biggrin:

Attachments

• Tools.jpg
    Tools.jpg
    17.4 KB · Views: 413
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Top Bottom