So I did a thing today..

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

DennisM

So deciding to start turning again and since I do have a budget I had to start back with the HF lathe instead of the Rikon I loved, but we'll see how it goes. Rebuilding my whole workshop tool collection so still have to get the table saw and grinder, but went shopping today.

A little from HF and some from Woodcraft. :)

Its a start. Now to plan the workbench and go get tablesaw and wood..

Attachments

• 20180414_164603.jpg
    20180414_164603.jpg
    210.1 KB · Views: 217
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Super Dave

You have to start somewhere. I have a harbor freight mini lathe that I bought for my daughter 10 years ago, I still use that today for pens. Get in touch with Rich Herrell, he can make you a sot of tool rests , they make a big difference. Good luck, you can get lucky on Craigslist also.

Dave

DennisM

No, but honesty will end up with either a HF or a low end one from menards, with a little truing and a nice crosscut sled, will do the job for me. Looked a older craftsman 10" but they wanted to much for the condition it was in.

As for the HF lathe, yes, I have read on that a lot, will see how true the tailstock is to the head and go from there. little adjustment here and there but should do just fine for now.

The HF lathe has its quirks, but it'll get the job done. Do you have a specific table saw in mind?

DennisM

Worst part at the moment is not having it setup yet. Need to get the lumber for the workbench and table saw. Then clean out a spot in the small garage and get to it.

Hoping my HOA here isnt to bad. :)

DennisM

That is the plan, I hope to have a my rikon or a full size Jet by end of the year, and with HF "warranty" program, every year can replace it basically for 30 bucks :)

When you get your dream lathe you can mount a buffing system on the cheap lathe and keep it to one side. Quite handy!

DennisM

Picked up the tablesaw and priced the lumber for the bench, but with it SNOWING in april here in Northern Illinois, had to hold off on picking it up.

Next weekend should be putting tool to wood and making some shavings...

Attachments

• 20180415_153043.jpg
    20180415_153043.jpg
    211.1 KB · Views: 108
Top Bottom