Small Details Matter - Transfer Punches

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

SteveG

I have been using my xfer punch set for a long time: many uses, but primarily pen disassembly and as a rod for sanding inside the "hole". My reason for this post: I just bought a second set because the first set has some rods gone...dedicated to some other purpose. So I want to announce, there is a "better mousetrap!" The new set, from Exotic Blanks, is the PSI product "PKDISET", and it is in improvement to the traditional xfer punch which have a bevel on both ends. Have you have ever tried to tap out a coupling where there is a coupling already installed on both ends, requiring you to use an undersized punch and hold it pressed against one side to just catch the edge of the coupling as you tap it out? You know the little bevel or chamfer works against you. The punch will tend to slide off as you tap. Well, this set I just bought has plain ends...no bevel and no center point. They just work so much better for that particular application. You could achieve the same facility by grinding your existing punches flat, but if you are going to buy a set anyhow,why not get the "improved" style. A bit more spendy than H. Fright price, but likely worth it.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Monty

Group Buy Coordinator
I have two older sets from HF that have the bevel on one end and are flat on the other. Haven't looked at the newer sets from HF recently.

SteveG

I initiated this thread to make others aware of this small but significant variation in the available tools for pen disassembly. My first set was not purchased at H. F. (The closest H F is more than 2000 miles away and heavy items are quite expensive to mail order from them.) The first set was bought online, and had bevels on both ends (a detail I was not even considering at the time). There is no pen making supply store on Kauai. So if the info is useful to anyone BEFORE making a purchase, then good! :)
Aloha

robertkulp

Bought the PSI set a couple of months ago. Also got the rubber tipped vice grip pliers from PSI. They are GREAT. Very easy to take pens apart without destroying them.

I can see where both sets could be handy. I use the pointed end all the time for removing finials. I also use the other end for taking pens apart. I have 2 sets of HF now but could see having a third set..

Top Bottom