Skew Sharpening

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

cowchaser

I know most recommend the Alan Lacer videos, which I have not been able to purchase yet. So I have a question about sharpening or should I say the angle on the cutting edge. Looking at the his skews online from the pointed tip the appear or angle down in a radius toward the bottom. If I remember right I believe Ed Davidsons does also in his video in the library on making the Sierra.

Mine has the straight angled edge on it the same as when I purchased it. When I use it all I seem to get is dust even though it will cut the snot out of me so I believe it is sharp. Also the tip or the bottom appear to make contact without the center contacting the blank. Should I grind off the lower tip and put in a radius? Or leave it be and figure out what I am doing wrong?

Here is a link to some of his skews about what I am talking about.
http://www.hamlet-crafttools.com/turners/alanlacer/lacerterryporter.html

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

dalemcginnis

Local Chapter Leader
Dustin:
Those are curved skews, from your description you have a straight skew. You can regrind it if you want but that is not the problem. Even though it cuts you it is probably not sharp, remember you skin is a lot softer than the wood.[:)] Most tools are not fully sharp when you first get them. I believe there are some tutorials somewhere online that will show how to sharpen a skew. The Lacer videos really are worth their money, I too could not use a skew until I watched one of his videos.
The reason many turners (including myself) prefer curved skews is you get fewer catches, though there are times I use my straight skew.

follow3

If you don't want to buy the videos, check out WWW. smartflix.

They have a great selection of technical videos that rent for only 9.99... including shipping both ways.

I think they have the Lacer Skew videos, but I'm not sure.

Steve

The lousy thing about smartflix is that they do not pay royalties to the makers of the Videos. People like Alan Lacer, Bill Grumbine and others lose out on their livelihood.

http://alanlacer.com/

http://www.wonderfulwood.com/

Fred

Go 5to the Tormek website and work yourself around till you find their "how to section" and then look at the skew sharpening directions. Even if you don't use a Tormek you can at least see how they recommend that you sharpen the straight and curved blades.

Rifleman1776

Originally posted by follow3
<br />If you don't want to buy the videos, check out WWW. smartflix.

They have a great selection of technical videos that rent for only 9.99... including shipping both ways.

Steve

Off the subject a bit.... I had never heard of Smartflix. Have to wonder how they get away with (apparent) copyright violations. That is a form of theft if I understand the situation correctly.

Originally posted by Rifleman1776
<br />

Steve

Off the subject a bit.... I had never heard of Smartflix. Have to wonder how they get away with (apparent) copyright violations. That is a form of theft if I understand the situation correctly.

Holy Crap, We actually agree on something!

Just spread the word Frank, that is the only way we can help people like Bill and Alan

low_48

I suspect that if all you get is dust, you are using it like a scraper. To get curls you have to get the skew on top of the work, much like a hand plane. You have to rub the bevel first, then pull up the handle or give it a little twist to get the cutting edge to the work. When I first picked up a skew I laid it flat on the tool rest and wondered how I would ever get it to cut. What you have to do is rest the bevel on the work and let one edge of the skew lay on the tool rest. To get the idea right, let the lathe shut off. Put the skew on top of the work and the tool rest and push it towards the headstock. If you get a curl, you are doing it correctly. Note where everything is and in what position. Lift off the skew, turn on the lathe, then practice till you get a curl. Chuck a piece of a tree branch to try first, don't practice on a pen.

Good Luck! I like the name, cowchaser. At least it's not cowtipper.[:D]

cowchaser

Okay the name has history. Short version is when I was a Deputy Sheriff (remember I am in OK) due to all the rural area we patroled we would receive cow calls (being out) all the time. It got to the point every night when I came on duty I would get a call as soon as I left my house. So after while it got to the point I could look at the cattle that were out and tell dispatch what kind, who owned them and what pasture they belonged in. So I was given the nickname cowchaser.

Rifleman1776

Originally posted by Ron in Drums PA
<br />
Originally posted by Rifleman1776
<br />

Steve

Holy Crap, We actually agree on something!

Just spread the word Frank, that is the only way we can help people like Bill and Alan

I must be slipping in my old age. Will try harder next time. [;)]

Rifleman1776

Originally posted by Fred_erick
<br />Go 5to the Tormek website and work yourself around till you find their "how to section" and then look at the skew sharpening directions. Even if you don't use a Tormek you can at least see how they recommend that you sharpen the straight and curved blades.

The Tormek site takes forever and a week to download and requires installation of Quick Time. I backed out because I don't like forever adding new 'stuff' to my computer to satisfy advertisers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom