Skew Recommendations

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ghansen4

I'm thinking of getting a higher end HSS skew, but I'm wondering which are the better brands, and where can you get them?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Charlie_W

What shape and style skew are you looking for?
Note Doug can grind your skew to your liking!

I have several different brands of skews. Alan Lacer, OneWay, Thompson, an old Craftsman, Woodcraft Wood River.
Of these, the Craftsman and Wood River have softer steel. They dull quicker but being softer they sharpen more quickly.
Of these, I have traditional skews, Oval skew, standard concave grind, radius grind, flat grind and a convex grind.
There are many choices

Last edited:

Wildman

Don't know what brand, size, style of conventional or oval skew have now or budget but don't really need to spend lot of money on a skew. I like rolled edge conventional skews from Packard brand (Hamlet), Crown, Henry Taylor, and Sorby. Never owned an oval skew so no advice on them.

Packard Woodworks: The Woodturner's Source

Except for my Thompson tools(gouges) have own all those brand named skews & gouges in different sizes. Also have 3/4" P&N skew. My old Henry Taylor skew had to rolled the edges on my grinder.

Last skew bought was 1/2" HT, Kryo rolled edge skew about wore out now less than $50 several years ago but cost more than regular HSS. All can say was big disappointment to me and lot of other turners that bought Kryo steel over HSS tools.

With few exceptions buy my turning tools from Craft Supplies & Packard usually buy more than one tool at a time taking advantage discounts and sales. Several other vendors offer discount or have sales throughout the year so shop around.

Packard still has free catalog not sure about Craft Supplies. Cannot count number of tool vendors on-line today check for discounts & sales and pay attention to shipping cost & sale tax.

Woodchipper

FWIW, I have the HF set of turning tools and they work fine. It includes an inch skew and a half inch skew. I also have a Benjamin's Best 3/8" bowl gouge that is good for the $$$. Will monitor this thread to see what is recommended. I have learned that keeping any tool sharp makes turning much easier.

TonyL

I use D-ways and Doug Thompsons. I used to use Sorbys and even Benjamin's Best. As long as I kept them sharp, they worked just fine. I find D-ways to have a more comfortable handle and hold an edge longer (at least the way I use them). Doug's are very good too..enjoy using both.

Skew

I use Carter and Son Toolworks skew and have found them to be superior to Sorby and the carbide tools as well. American made with life time warranty. Packard Woodworks carries them also.

Top Bottom