Simple DIY Lathe Sanding System

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

lhowell

I've noticed there has been a lot of forums and discussions on the best way to square the ends of pen blanks and ran across this simple DIY lathe sanding system video on Youtube. Looks like it can be made with some wood scraps and a few pieces of pipe and fittings.

I may try to make one of these so I can throw away the pen mill for good and might even add in some t-track in the base for a disc sander jig

https://youtu.be/8qEpwrXup_0

JimB

That setup, although good for general sanding is not good for squaring blanks. There isn't anything to hold your blank square to the sanding disc. Even if you addded another jig/blank holder to the table you still have the issue of the table being attached to the banjo and moveable and therefore not square to the disc. This is why many lathe jigs used for squaring pen blanks attach to the tailstock. You already know the tailstock is square to the headstock.

The other option is to make a table that attaches to the lathe bed just like the tailstock and banjo do. Attach a holder for the blanks that utilizes the tube for holding the blank and is square to the headstock.

lhowell

That setup, although good for general sanding is not good for squaring blanks. There isn't anything to hold your blank square to the sanding disc. Even if you addded another jig/blank holder to the table you still have the issue of the table being attached to the banjo and moveable and therefore not square to the disc. This is why many lathe jigs used for squaring pen blanks attach to the tailstock. You already know the tailstock is square to the headstock.

The other option is to make a table that attaches to the lathe bed just like the tailstock and banjo do. Attach a holder for the blanks that utilizes the tube for holding the blank and is square to the headstock.

Yeah sort of thought about that after I posted it. I really like Ernie's setup from exotic blanks and I have a full punch set for a multitude of tube sizes! May still build the platform though as I have a cheap disc sander and never can keep the cheap base square to the disc!

Top Bottom