wwcolletsholderandwrench.jpeg

Chuckie

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Chuck Key

Originally posted by GaryMGg
<br />Details man details:
What sizes? Where do they come from?
Thx.

Noticed the holder while doing research for a vacuum chuck system I am building. Look under Woodworking Tools at this link:

http://www.sierramold.com/

Chuckie

alamocdc

The Sierra body lists for $78, which (if memory serves) is about what I paid for each of my Bealls. The Sierra looks to be powder coated black. Not a bad thing, but I'm not sure it's necessary. It still isn't a bad deal and you can get less expenxive collets (especially in sets) from a number of places.

Randy_

Billy: Your memory is pretty good. In fact, the Sierra "chuck" is actually a little cheaper than the Beall, at least for the smaller ones. The two smaller ones at Beall are actually a dollar more expensive at $79 and the 33mm chuck is $83. However.........

It "appears" you have to buy the spanner wrench as a separate item.....doesn't seem to come with the chuck and that is an extra $20 which seems a bit pricey for what it is and considering an extra Beall spanner is only be $6.

The suggestion about the powder coating is interesting; but not the type of finish I would expect on a tool of this nature. Hard to confirm one way or the other because the pictures aren't very good. Powder coating would seem to be a selling point and you would think they would mentioned it in the description of the tool if it were the case. Think I will give them a call to find out.

As to buying the less expensive imported collets with the Sierra chuck, that certainly is a more economical alternative; but it seems to defeat the earlier suggestion that the Sierra tool had some extra merit because it was made in the USA?

Randy_

Here is the reply I received from the company that makes the Sierra Collet Chuck:

Good Afternoon Randy:

Thank you for your inquiry regarding our ER-32 Collet System. We manufacture the body from C-1215 Steel in house. The collets are imported and supplied by one of the largest tooling suppliers in the U.S. (We are a CNC machine shop and use the same collets in our metalworking operations).

The spanner wrench is indeed a separate item because in my useage I have never need to do any more than hand-tighten the nut. I assume you are chucking on wood or plastic and the grip of an ER-32 is more than adelquate.

The Bodies are not powder coated; but rather black oxide coated for rust resistance.

While you are at it you might want to take a look at our P/N 0900 Wheel Dresser on the website. We offer a significant discount to AAW Chapters that order 5 pcs. or more at a time. i have sold over 30 of these to my own chapter in the las 3 months. It is a great addition to a Wolverine grinding system.

Thank you again for your interest, please feel free to call on me for any more questions.

Ron Burdg
President/Sierra Mold Corp.
(775) 882-3500 Mon-Thurs 5:00a.m.-5:00p.m. PST

Randy_

Originally posted by Chuck Key
<br />Randy, When you call find out how to order also. I do not see a cart on their website.

I sent my query before you posted, Chuckie. Sorry.

I don't see a cart either and assume orders are by phone or fax.

Did you note the min. order is $100? Probably not a problem for you; but folks looking to buy just the collet chuck are shut out.

Chuck Key

Originally posted by Randy_
<br />
Originally posted by Chuck Key
<br />Randy, When you call find out how to order also. I do not see a cart on their website.

I sent my query before you posted, Chuckie. Sorry.

No problem. I probably will not be ordering anyway. I already have ER-32 holders from Beall, an MT2, 2 MT3's and an R8. Pretty much using ER-32 across all my machines.

Chuckie

Texatdurango

Originally posted by Randy_
<br />.....
Good Afternoon Randy:

Thank you for your inquiry regarding our ER-32 Collet System. We manufacture the body from C-1215 Steel in house. The collets are imported and supplied by one of the largest tooling suppliers in the U.S....

So much for "Made in America"! I noticed on their website they have a "Made in America" flag displayed at the bottom. Perhaps they should also display a "Made in China" flag next to it so as not to confuse shoppers who might be thinking they are buying all American made products.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom