Show me your

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

GaryMGg

grinder-based sharpening jigs -- please :biggrin:

I've got a couple of oval skews and I used to sharpen on a belt sander.
It has since bit the bucket.
I've got some ideas for building an adjustable, repeatable, reliable guide for my grinder.
However, before I do, I'd like to see what folks have.

Whatever I do build, I'll post plans after I get the bugs out.
Thanks.
G

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
I don't have one for my new grinder yet either . I've seen Johnrobs on youtube , that he sells plans for at around $5.00 but , haven't commited myself to that . Got an email with some howtos to make one but haven't commited to that one either . Maybe , I'll just wait to see what you come up with ! :biggrin: I think I can dig that email up if you're interested Gary . I'll take a look .

Here id the one by Johnrob281 made http://www.youtube.com/user/johnrob281?blend=2&ob=1

Last edited:

Chuck Key

Turn sharpen, turn cut.

Attachments

• grinders.jpg
    grinders.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 994

jbostian

grinder-based sharpening jigs -- please :biggrin:

I've got a couple of oval skews and I used to sharpen on a belt sander.
It has since bit the bucket.
I've got some ideas for building an adjustable, repeatable, reliable guide for my grinder.
However, before I do, I'd like to see what folks have.

Whatever I do build, I'll post plans after I get the bugs out.
Thanks.
G

I just bought a grinder and have been trying to decide if I want to buy a sharpening system or make one. I came across this article today. I think I am going to try and make it. Here is the link
http://www.finewoodworking.com/pdf/ShopBuiltJig.pdf

Jamie

brewtang

For a skew I actually don't use a grinder, I do them by hand with a diamond stone. The grinder will give you a hollow grind, making the skew slightly sharper, but losing it;s edge faster. After a little practice, it's pretty easy and only takes a few more seconds that the grinder.

PaulDoug

The set up I made

Attachments

• mini-116_1605.JPG
    mini-116_1605.JPG
    60.3 KB · Views: 521
  • mini-IMG_0272.JPG
    mini-IMG_0272.JPG
    33.1 KB · Views: 478
  • mini-116_1608.JPG
    mini-116_1608.JPG
    44.1 KB · Views: 456

GaryMGg

I like the JohnRob video for many tools. However, I don't like the idea of sharpening on the side of the grinder wheel.
It's going to take a little work to make a satisfactory guide for my oval skew, but I think I've got it figured out.
Probably make a prototype next week.

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
I like the JohnRob video for many tools. However, I don't like the idea of sharpening on the side of the grinder wheel.
It's going to take a little work to make a satisfactory guide for my oval skew, but I think I've got it figured out.
Come to think of it , oval skew is what I use . Will you be posting pics here ? I'm anxious to see what you come up with . :confused:

GaryMGg

Pics and plans (or, at least a formal description of how I make it as that as formal as my plans usually get).

The way I figure, the guide has to be oval to hold the steel solidly, and it has to be
angled the same as the angle of the blade (which in my case is 30 degrees).
Then, it has to be elevated such that the angle of the grind is maintained.
Finally, it has to run perpendicular to the rotation of the stone so as to get a consistent edge.
Oh, and the guide has to be perfectly even so it can flipped (rolled) 180 degrees to act as a
guide for the other side.
Now, all I gotta do is make time to test that theory with a prototype. :biggrin:

bitshird

Gary I'm with you, I've always warned against using the side of a grinding wheel, it seems to me I read or was told that it breaks down the wheel faster and can lead to catastrophic failure.

Umeubbe

Hello, this is my grinder.

I have a German band grinding that goes in the water so it can never be too hot as it destroys the hardening. I usually sharpen knives on it, but then I started turning so I made a jig so that I can also sharpen my lathe steel and it works very well.

Sincerely / Urban

DSC_0004.jpg

DSC_0008.jpg

DSC_0003.jpg

JimMc7

Pricey, but purpose-built Tormek SVS-50 jig will work on a bench grinder using the BGM-100 grinder jig mounting system. I use this setup to establish the skew grind, then finish on a Tormek (optional). I also use a diamond hone several times between Tormek sharpenings. Other Tormek jigs make the sharpening process easier to repeat but you can do all that with shop-built stops.

http://www.tormek.com/images/jigs/svs50/svs50_600.jpg

jwoodwright

Side Grinding is Dangerous...

Several problems with side grinding with a standard wheel.

#1 Not made for it. There are specialized wheels made for side grinding...

#2 The paper label is part of the wheel safety. Removing it removes a safety layer.

#3 How do you "dress" the side of the wheel?

I've seen the damage that a catastrophic wheel failure, where it fragments at high speed. People have died from this.

That's why you always do a "ring" test and use a very "light" touch on the wheel. Never grind Aluminum or Brass. These cause wheel to heat up and fail...

Ring Test? Use a screwdriver to hold wheel, tap lightly with a wrench. Sure hear a pure nice ring... Anything else, Do Not Use... So, be safe out there...

Mr Vic

Jiohn..looks like his version of the Varigrind jig. For sharpening fingernail gauges....Check ou the Oneway site for a video tutorial...I broke down and bought their system....

GaryMGg

FYI: I'm still following this thread and planning to make a jig and post plans.
My work schedule has gotten very busy again and I'm traveling a bit too so
things are moving slower than I expected.

Umeubbe

PaulDoug, what does the thing in the center photo do???

Clueless in Conroe.

John

Jgrden Hello!

I think the equivalent thing is on this video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SmolYysGzpM

So where the steel is bolted into the jig so you can move to the right and left to get the round shape of the steel. Damn, I'm bad at explaining it in English, maybe someone else can help me.

Anyway, I made an attempt.
Sincerely / Urban

Craftdiggity

Jgrden Hello!

So where the steel is bolted into the jig so you can move to the right and left to get the round shape of the steel. Damn, I'm bad at explaining it in English, maybe someone else can help me.

Sincerely / Urban

It looks like a fingernail jig. You lock the tool in the upper section and put the little ball into the rest and swivel the tool back and forth to get the fingernail profile.

Jgrden

Jgrden Hello!

Sincerely / Urban
That video explained it. Thank you very much. I need one of those. Don't worry, my Swedish is much worst. Your English is fine.

phillywood

Chuckie I am not getting what you're trying to show in that picture. either my eyes are getting bad or picture is taken too far from the object. Please expalin.
Oh, BTW last time i checked I wasn't related to any Bush family and I ain't got theOIL well in my back yards so If you guys can help to save a little money, that would be really appreciated. I am sure some one has been in this trade long enough that he made soemthing to work.,

Last edited:

Chuck Key

Chuckie I am not getting what you're trying to show in that picture. either my eyes are getting bad or picture is taken too far from the object. Please expalin.
Oh, BTW last time i checked I wasn't related to any Bush family and I ain't got theOIL well in my back yards so If you guys can help to save a little money, that would be really appreciated. I am sure some one has been in this trade long enough that he made soemthing to work.,

I was trying to show my sharpening setup and show its position relative to my lathe. The sharpening system was purchased from PSI: http://www.pennstateind.com/store/LCGRIND4.html

I do not live in Texas so no oil well here either but I would like to save someone a few buck and am thinking of putting my system in classifieds in the next couple of days at $75 shipped. Here is close shot of the system shown in the original photo.

SHARPJI1.JPG

Hope that clears up your question if you were talking about my picture
icon5.gif
icon5.gif
icon5.gif
icon5.gif
icon5.gif

Chuckie

Jgrden

Chickie:

I need one, but my oil well stopped pumping after five trips to the hospital. Heh, heh, heh. The alternative was not good.

Good luck.

GaryMGg

I've not followed up on this because I ended up buying a Grizzly wet slow-speed grinder from Steve.
That's pushed the need for me to build a sharpening jig pretty low on my list.
When time permits and I do make a jig, I'll be sure to upload it for those who want to make on like it.

sgimbel

I ordered the plans from UTUBE for $5 on JonRobs sharpening jig. Took about an hour to build (out os scrape) and it works like a dream to me. I don't have a pic yet but I was sharpening on a belt sander also and tired of shreading belts.

Top Bottom