Shopsmith question

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

alamocdc

I have been offered a Shopsmith w/all attachments (I think) for $200. I know that several of you have these. I'm not sure how old it is, but I do know that it is probably at least 10 years old and in good working condition. I have dedicated tools and would probably only use it as a lathe or DP. I've actually been considering getting a DVR or Oneway, but finances are pushing me more toward the Jet 14" VS. My question is this. Should I make the purchase or just wait and get the dedicated lathe since all my other tools are already in place? TIA.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dario

Billy,

For that price jump on it...if you don't like it, you can always sell it on eBay. Do a quick search and check how much they go for...just the bandsaw attachment sell for $200 or more. [;)]

Better gauge is the ended auction prices so check those too.

Disclaimer...your decision, I cannot guarantee how much it will sell if you do it though [}:)][:D]

Randy_

Sounds like a bargain to me......almost too good to be true.

Like Dario said, you could probably sell off the attachments, individually, and get your money back plus some and still have your basic machine. One thing you need to consider and you will need to confirm this with a Shopsmith owner......I remember hearing something about the SS spindle being of a proprietary design and will not accept many "standard" accessory tools...chucks, mandrels, centers etc.

alamocdc

Randy, I seem to remember hearing (or seeing) the same thing and this is one thing that has me leaning away from it. Yes, I could easily profit from the resale of the machine, but I'm not sure I want the hassle. BTW, all attachments does not mean optional accessories.

Thumbs

I'd say you were crazy to even ask this! I have one! Check with Michael Wine, too! You can buy a cheap adapter from Woodturningz or PSI to bring the spindle to a standard thread if needed for any attachments you want. And they are probably more available than any other adapters around. You can of course pay more for these adapters elsewhere if you suffer brand or vendor loyalty...... Most items are offered in a 5/8" shaft fitting just like 3/4"x16 or 1"x8, etc. No problem there![:)]

wayneis

If you can get it for a couple hundred bucks then I would jump om it and then save up for the Oneway or DVR at a later date. At that price I wouldn't monkie around to long because someone will beat you to it.

Wayne

jwoodwright

$200. for a Great Machine, buy it, you'll never regret it. Mine is 18 yrs old and traveled well before I retired from USAF.

For Horzonital boring and drilling, can't find a better machine. I made a jig for blanks... Now, I have a beautiful Vise from Paul, Sweet. I'm a tool Junkie!

Blades are Propritary, have a 1 1/4" hole. They sell a 5/8" arbor to hold Normal blades. Currently, I'm using a 80 Tooth Carbide tip to cut Corian...

Did I mention Angle drilling, like for pocket screws...

200510816142_ShopSmithdrilljig.jpg
<br />

Dont buy it. Mike bought his used one for $500. 2000 dollars and 2 MORE lathes later, he's doing shows, selling pens and such and spends ALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL his time in the garage. not buying it, might save you from having to attend further WA classes. (woodaholics anonymous) I'm just doing you a favor. :eek:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom