Shopfox banjo issue

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ldubia

I have a W1758 Shopfox lathe. It is a Chinese knock off but it does the job for now. The banjo just stripped out at the tool post adjuster screw. Now the tool post does not stand up where I need it and it flops around. Very dnagerous. It let go while turning a bowl.

Has anyone ever had an issue like this and what can be done on pot metal to repair the problem?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

randyrls

Larry; Is this really pot metal? Most of these are cast iron.

As Rick said, Drill a hole slightly larger than the original, then tap the new hole. Do you know the thread size and TPI? Take the post to a big box store. Most of them have a fixture with common threads and you can check out the needed specs there. If so post a message here and I can give you the next larger thread and drill size you need.

It is also possible to refill the old hole with welding or brazing rod and then re-drill and tap for the original post. Your best bet is to take it to a welding shop.

Last edited:

frank123

An option other than drilling oversize and rethreading oversize would be drilling oversize, sleeving with brass sleeve (just a rod drilled and tapped to original specs which can be set with locktite, soldered. or brazed in but the higher the temp used the greater the potential to fracture or warp the casting when it cools) Any future replacement part will still fit unaltered that way.

Rodnall

You can also drill it oversize, tap it and use a Heli-coil insert the with the original size threads. The heli-coil insert may be stronger than originally.
Rod

monophoto

I have a ShopFox, and I'm pretty sure that it's cast iron. So I would think that the first choice would be to drill and tap a new hole.

But the other option is to contact the US importer to see if you can buy a new banjo. The importer is Woodstock international inc . in Bellingham, WA.

Rodnall

I had to buy parts for my shopfox, but Woodstock Int. doesn't deal retail. You can call them and find a retailer to order for you. Get a couple of retailers numbers. The first retailer the gave me wanted almost double the msrp. The second sold it to me under msrp.

Rod

ldubia

Larry; Is this really pot metal? Most of these are cast iron.

If this is cast iron (possible) it has got to be the softest iron on the planet. This thing has little strength. Or I could just be frustrated with it and think it is. :eek::redface:

I appreciate all the ideas. I will try having it welded in with new material then
thread it to the original size. That should make it plenty strong.

Thanks everyone.
Have a truly original and prosperous new year.

Rodnall

Be careful welding cast iron. It can crack easily if you don't pre-heat it and let it cool slowly after welding.

ldubia

Thanks. I hadn't considered that. Is JB Weld be strong enough to fill the hole, drill and tap and then hold the rest in position without cracking or breaking off?

frank123

JB Weld, CA, Epoxy, Locktite any high strength glue should work. Keep the heat down when drilling. Heat will soften the glue.

Low temperature (lead/tin based) solder would work and shouldn't present a problem with the cast iron. Use the right flux for it, electronic flux would probably not work.

Top Bottom