Shop ventilation

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Aces-High

I need a way to suck bad air out of my small shop space. I am looking at an inline fan and running 8" ducting through the crawl space that is beside my space to an outer wall. Has anyone used this method? Ideas on it or better ides welcome.

Jason

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

MRDucks2

Not tried that, but I did use a 30" fan to exhaust a smaller shop I had in Texas. I had to make sure I had enough window open or I would trip a breaker from starving the fan of enough air to exhaust.

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

PenPal

If you run the fan above the lathe it would serve a dual purpose to remove the fine dust to atmosphere.The silver covered tube leading to an inline fan runs to the outside for this purpose over my VicMarc VL150. the pic while I was installing the lathe in 2014.

Peter.

Attachments

• DSCF0004.JPG
    DSCF0004.JPG
    175.4 KB · Views: 211
  • DSCF0005.JPG
    DSCF0005.JPG
    112.8 KB · Views: 211
Last edited:

KenV

Where is the makeup air coming from? Does the makeup air need to be filtered, cooled, or heated??

Do you have any gas fired appliances in the building like a furnace, water heater, etc?
(Carbbom monoxide detectors working?)

May not be simple.......

Aces-High

Where is the makeup air coming from? Does the makeup air need to be filtered, cooled, or heated??

Do you have any gas fired appliances in the building like a furnace, water heater, etc?
(Carbbom monoxide detectors working?)

May not be simple.......

There is a window I will be able to open. I think that will be enough.

JimB

What is the cause of the 'bad air'? Is it the finishes, wood dust from sanding or something else? There may be other solutions. If you plan to run your ventilation system for any length of time you are going to be removing all the warm air from your shop.

Aces-High

What is the cause of the 'bad air'? Is it the finishes, wood dust from sanding or something else? There may be other solutions. If you plan to run your ventilation system for any length of time you are going to be removing all the warm air from your shop.

I would say a combination of both probably. My shop is in my basement, so I'm not worried about my heat.

Last edited:

JimB

I would say a combination of both probably. My shop is in my basement, so I'm not worried about my heat.

I have a basement shop measuring 10' x 18' (fairly small) as well with zero air circulation. No windows or exhaust. I run a dust collector and an air filtration system and that takes care of all those 'bad air issues'. There are certain finishes I don't use, such as lacquer, because they linger in the shop and can even bleed up to the main floor of the house. I do use CA in my shop without a problem when I have the DC and air filter running.

If you vent your shop to the outside replacement air needs to come from somewhere. That somewhere will be from the house even if your doors are closed and you will be losing heat. If you open a window in your shop/basement with the exhaust running you will be pulling in a lot of cold air, have a cold shop and probably still be having a small impact on the heat in the house.

Aces-High

I have a basement shop measuring 10' x 18' (fairly small) as well with zero air circulation. No windows or exhaust. I run a dust collector and an air filtration system and that takes care of all those 'bad air issues'. There are certain finishes I don't use, such as lacquer, because they linger in the shop and can even bleed up to the main floor of the house. I do use CA in my shop without a problem when I have the DC and air filter running.

If you vent your shop to the outside replacement air needs to come from somewhere. That somewhere will be from the house even if your doors are closed and you will be losing heat. If you open a window in your shop/basement with the exhaust running you will be pulling in a lot of cold air, have a cold shop and probably still be having a small impact on the heat in the house.

This is something that I will not be running all the time, only when I need it.

Top Bottom