Shop upgrade....Ideas?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Bubba57

So....upgrading my shop...LONG overdue and I need advice/ideas. I have a 20 x 30 metal exterior attached to a stick frame sitting on a concrete slab. PROBLEM: I live in North Florida and inside temps can reach 120 EARLY spring and stay that way until late fall. I've tried all manner of fans, etc....just blows hot air. So....In the process of installing an attic ventilation fan and ceiling. Due to ease of installation I'm going to do the ceiling with rigid foam insulation. I also want to do the walls. My original thought was to go with traditional fiberglass and sheetrock.....but...I hate having to deal with sheetrock. So...thinking about using rigid insulation for the walls, too. Has anyone ever done this? Pros...cons....considerations?????

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
I am in Indiana but our summers are hot and humid. I put in regular fiber glass insulation but also put in a foil barier that is supposed to reflect the heat. I think it has really helped but I covered it with Sheetrock. Make sure to use spray foam to seal all cracks.

Mike

Curly

We are building a house with shop above the garage. 2x6 walls with fibreglass bats and blown in fibreglass in the scissor trusses. If I had more money I would be using blown in place cellulose everywhere. I am going to put OSB on the walls and ceiling and paint them all white. I want to be able to screw things to the walls and ceiling without worry about placement of the screws and them holding. OSB doesn't cost a lot more than drywall. I'd love to have sanded plywood. :roll eyes: Your climate will dictate what side of the studs the vapour barrier is on. Mine is on the inside. Now is the time to make sure the electrical is above and beyond what you think you need.

stonepecker

I have used 4x8 chip board. Paintable....for us, was easier to use then sheetrock.
With the next shop I will use it .... but all electric, duct collection, etc will be on the outside, Nothing in the walls. Thinking it will be easier to make changes.

Herb G

You can certainly use foam board insulation, but it can't be left exposed.
If it catches fire (God forbid!) it will never go out.
I'd cover it with OSB, chipboard, whatever you call it down there.
Make sure you get the stuff rated for exterior use, because it has waterproof glue in it. Seal it first, then paint it white. That way, you could mount shelves, etc. without worrying about having to hit a stud every time.

I'd get a power roof fan if I were you. I would install at least 2 of them, maybe 3.
That would blow the heat right out of the roof & suck in cooler air from the ground.
Even 90* outside air is cooler than 120* inside air.

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
My garage/workshop is that same type of construction with 4x6 studs every 4'. After wiring it with LOTS of outlets, I used rolled fiber glass insulation & covered it with peg board all around. I walled off 1/4 of the building for a 15x25 wood shop & put peg board all around both sides of the interior wall and use a window A/C in that part of the building. Works fine in our gulf coast heat & humidity.

Last edited:

Herb G

I meant to add this earlier.
I would take photos of every wall before you add insulation to them, and mark the floor with a lumber crayon or big Sharpie where the center of the studs are. Mark it clearly on the floor, and spray it with clear spray paint to preserve the mark. Measure the walls & make a drawing where the studs are.

Why?
So later on, when you mount whatever wall covering you go with (OSB, etc.) you can see where the center of the studs are so you can mount the wallboard directly to the studs.
Most OSB has lines printed on it for this purpose. If you know where the center of the studs are, it's a heck of a lot easier to hang wallboard.

It also makes it a lot easier if you need to mount something directly to structure. Like an air hose rack or whatever.

I speak from experience. I learned that tip from an old timer about 35 years ago.
Hope this helps.

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
I have to correct my earlier post - the construction of my building is 4x6 posts every 10 feet with 2x4 studs every 24 inches. The sides are 10' high and I insulated & covered the walls up to 8'. I used peg board all around so I can hang stuff wherever I want & the extra 2' of stud extending above the pegboard makes it easy to mount shelves or other heavy stuff onto the studs or posts.

Attachments

• Wall1.jpg
    Wall1.jpg
    238.9 KB · Views: 194
  • Wall2.jpg
    Wall2.jpg
    255.8 KB · Views: 141

jaywood1207

Do not use rigid foam insulation as your interior finish for safety reasons. As mentioned above fire is a potential issue but the bigger issue is that it is very toxic when it burns. If you happen to be in the shop and it starts to burn it will not be a good situation.

Bubba57

I have to correct my earlier post - the construction of my building is 4x6 posts every 10 feet with 2x4 studs every 24 inches. The sides are 10' high and I insulated & covered the walls up to 8'. I used peg board all around so I can hang stuff wherever I want & the extra 2' of stud extending above the pegboard makes it easy to mount shelves or other heavy stuff onto the studs or posts.

Testing 1 2 3

Bubba57

Testing again. ?

Fish30114

I will add that you can't have to much or too brite of lighting. I lined the walls of my shop with T-111 and we stained it--looks damn good IMO, and it has the benefit of not having to search out a stud when you want to mount something, it is much more durable than OSB, another reason I used it. If you can the spray in cellulose is the best insulation option in terms of performance--for air filtration you have gotten some good input--I will say for dust collection you should definitely take a look at Clear Vue cyclone systems, I have a couple of their mini Cv-065 systems on shop vacs, and it is significant how much better of a job they do than any others on the market--I've compared them to friends Dust Deputy's and others, and the Clear Vue stuff is simply far superior: Clear Vue Cyclones

Good luck with your shop, looks like you've got a good space to start!!

Top Bottom