Shop Made Jaws for Bentwood Ring Turning

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Talfalfa33

Just finished a set of jaws to fit on my Supernova 2 chuck. I've been trying to figure out how to make a expanding mandrel to hold the rings steady, but just no dice. So I took some pieces of aluminum and started machining on the Bridgeport and this is what I came up with. The hardest part was turning from a 1 inch square down to 0.470 round without a metal lathe. But after burning one full carbide insert, got it done. So far it's working like I expected. I never remember to take pics through the process but I think you all get the idea.

Attachments

• image1.JPG
    image1.JPG
    24.1 KB · Views: 750
  • image2.JPG
    image2.JPG
    20.9 KB · Views: 707
  • image3.JPG
    image3.JPG
    17 KB · Views: 683
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mike4066

It's been too cold here to spend any time in the garage so I've made a few bentwood rings. I've been using a dowel that is slightly undersized with some masking tape for a snug fit. I still don't have a good way to secure them for sanding/finishing the inside.

dogcatcher

I use a rig like this too polish duck call bands, I also have some that are smaller that I use to make all wood rings. The expander is a pipe plug, it has a taper to it that expands the 4 splits in the wood. You can buy pipe lugs at Lowes and Home Depot, but my small ones came from hot rod parts supplier, I believe it was Summit Racing, they go down to about an 1/8". The taps can be also be bought there.

rgxrwy.jpg

mike4066

I use a rig like this too polish duck call bands, I also have some that are smaller that I use to make all wood rings. The expander is a pipe plug, it has a taper to it that expands the 4 splits in the wood. You can buy pipe lugs at Lowes and Home Depot, but my small ones came from hot rod parts supplier, I believe it was Summit Racing, they go down to about an 1/8". The taps can be also be bought there.

rgxrwy.jpg

I was thinking of making something similar. I was going to use a lag bolt to expand it out, but the pipe lug looks better.

I live 2 miles from Summit Racing and drive past it almost every day. Guess I'll have to stop in after work.

Thanks.

Last edited:

snyiper

Lowes also carry's the smaller sizes in black pipe and even smaller in brass, look in the Watts section!!! This may save a few cents.

Talfalfa33

That idea looks great, but how would you do a slanted inlay and then Tilt it the other way so that the two inlays cross?

Top Bottom