Shop Fox Lathe

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

NavyDiver

Has anyone had the chance to check out the new Shop Fox W1758 lathe? It's got a 2hp motor and 16 inch swing. The local woodworking shop has one on the floor for $620. That seems like a great price if a man wanted to get into larger turnings. I'd like to hear some other opinions or feedback.
Thanks.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jacurl

I would definitely consider them. I have the Jet 1442, and if Shop Fox had made a lathe when I was looking they would have been on my list. I have several other tools by them and have been very happy with everything I have gotten from them.

Rifleman1776

Originally posted by NavyDiver
<br />Frank,
You're right - they look identical. Thanks for the link. Does anyone have the Grizzly and would like to comment on how they like it?

My Grizzly is a G1067Z. Not as powerful but very similar otherwise. I'm putting pennies aside to buy another lathe. Not because mine is bad, but because it is entry level. You get a good value for the money but it is limited. With both, the biggest drawback is the slowest speed on the Reeves drive is way-way too fast for larger pieces like bowl blanks. 600 rpm is deadly with big blocks. They turn into flying missles and will shake your house off the foundation. The new Grizzly G0632 http://www.grizzly.com/products/G0632 is a true variable speed motor and will go down to 0 rpm with a soft start for big hunks. The Jet 16-42 is almost identical. Two differences: the Jet is about $200.00 more and only has a 1 1/2 hp motor but it is 110 volt; the Grizzly is 2 hp but requires 220 volt wiring. I will opt for the Grizzly because I have had good success with all my Griz tools, they give great service, prices are lower than competitors and there is a store withing 2 1/2 hours of my home in Springfield, MO. I don't have to pay shipping. Plus my son and his family live near there so I can combine visits.

NavyDiver

I agree that it looks like it would be better to save my pennies and spend more up front than go cheap now and be unhappy in a year. I've been looking at the Jet 16-42 (both the 1 1/2 and 2 hp models), but the Shop Fox caught my attention because of the price. I lived in Springfield for 2 years (before I got into woodworking) and was only a couple miles from the Grizzly showroom. Wish I were that close now!

mrcook4570

The down side is the low end speed on those lathes. I don't think you want to tackle an unbalanced 16" bowl blank whipping around at 600 rpm.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom