Shop Fox DC Stopped Working

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

TonyL

Well after 6 months of use, I heard a click and my 1.5HP dust collector stopped. All household fuses and circuits are fine. A few months ago, I had a line installed just to power it. I did hear a click come from the unit itself. My back was to it, but it definitely came from that direction. Besides placing a warranty claim or tossing it, any recommendations to repair?

Thanks folks and enjoy the weekend!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

Tony

Was the line run directly from the panel to the unit??? Is the unit 220V or 120V ??? You may have heard a thermal overload open. It maybe a manual reset so you may have to look for a small button to reset. If it is electrically reset it is possible the impeller got hung up, so check that it turns freely. If it does not and there is nothing keeping it from spinning it is possible a bearing froze up on you and needs replacing. I would also check to see that the wiring is intact in the peckerhead of the motor. Vibration could loosen a wirenut and cause a no run situation. The click could be an ark heard. Do this with the power off.

But the very first thing I would check is if the breaker is not tripped and to do that I would shut the breaker off to the DC and then turn on. Not sure how you are operating it but check that source also. If it is a remote switch that could be a problem also. Many times those motors have a small toggle switch right on the motor and maybe that may have clicked off. That should get you started looking in the right direction.

Fay Prozora

I don't buy Shop Fox items any more. Not since they sent me a scroll saw that did not work from the get go. I sent it back that same day I got it and then they sent me one that did work, but it only lasted 6 months. I bought the DeWalt 788 and he is still going strong. Ever since I got my lathe I haven't done much scrolling at all. But over the last 2 weeks I did scroll out a wind chime and a fish shaped cutting board. Hope you either get your DC fixed or a replacement. Good luck with what ever you decide to do.. Fay

Charlie_W

Tony,
Several years ago,I bought a used 1hp dust collector. It was basic DC with the cloth bag. In less than one year's started going bad. I could hear clicking noises from the bearings. Took the motor off, took it to a motor shop.
They wanted 68.00 to even crack it open and give me an estimate....then materials and labor on top of that.
Since I only paid 75.00 for the DC, they suggested I just start over.
Now I have a newer, used Jet DC with filter canister with beater bar. It catches much more fine dust particles and I am a happy camper!
Recycles the motor and metal parts, am using the base & wheels for a little tool roller cart to hold a miter saw I store under the bench.

Good luck!

TonyL

Thanks folks. It is plugged into a gfci, but it is working properly. I will plug into ano t her outlet/circuit and test. the manual doesn't identify any reset. I will call on Monday thanks for the tips!

TonyL

No worries. It is just as important to know whar is not causing the problem. I am going to plug it into another independent circuit. I am sure others run the same tests at 135am lol.

wyone

I recall Tony said he had the circuit installed for the dust collector. GCFI devices have come a long ways in 20 years. They are also REQUIRED in garages, shops, auto repair areas, etc. There are very few exceptions to this. A licensed electrician would typically not have a choice except to install the GFCI circuit if he valued his license.

TonyL

Thank you. My electrician is licensed and both circuits from the sub panel lead to gfci outlets. Thanks for checking though! My shop is in one room of my finished basement.

TonyL

I see how that could eliminate a problem...but I am not that comfortable around motors and electricity. It is still under warranty. If they can't do anything about it; I will buy a better quality one (not that there is any guarantees that that will last longer). Thanks for the idea.

jttheclockman

I recall Tony said he had the circuit installed for the dust collector. GCFI devices have come a long ways in 20 years. They are also REQUIRED in garages, shops, auto repair areas, etc. There are very few exceptions to this. A licensed electrician would typically not have a choice except to install the GFCI circuit if he valued his license.

Be very very careful with that statement.

Last edited:

jttheclockman

Tony

From your statement this unit is a plug in and not hard wired.. Also from your non statement, any of the things I mentioned to look at you are avoiding and will send the unit in to the warrenty company if you can find one. Good luck.

TonyL

Yeah...I am not going to open anything up and risk voiding the warranty (it does plug in - not hardwired) . I, did, already purchase a back-up and will pick up tomorrow - just a Rockler single bag. Someone bought it new at an auction, and never used. Paid 140 - can't hurt to have another DC. One of my WW club friends was selling it. Thanks again.

SteveG

My experience with warranty service (Delta, about 6 years ago) was that I had to drop the tool, a 6 inch belt sander, off at a local authorized repair company, and later pick up the repaired unit. That all worked pretty easy. I hope your experience is as good.

wyone

John..

don't really understand why I need to be careful with my statement.

I am a Master Electrician and have been in the business for 40+ years.

Electricians have actually been fined, lost their license and in extreme cases even gone to jail for knowingly violating the applicable Codes. I, for one, used to HATE GFCI devices, but do see the value of them and since they are much less troublesome than in previous years, see no reason to NOT use them today.

I do know that motors can be an issue with GFCIs. In fact I have an air compressor that just yesterday started to cause my GFCI to trip. Obviously there is an issue internal to the compressor that is causing the issue, so I will have to figure out what that is. In the meantime, the GFCI protected me from any hazard of shock.

I am still hoping Tony will find something either minor or at least covered by his warranty to solve his problem.

TonyL

Let's close this post..lots of great and thoughtful advice. All very much appreciated.

jttheclockman

Mitch, I know your creds. 65 years in the business. You state them every time there is an electrical question. Yes Motors and flourescent lights do not play well with GFCI. Local codes take precedent. When broad statements are made I cringe.

Good luck Tony and next time I will just stay out of it.

Top Bottom