Shop build inside spare bedroom

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Magma

I am starting to build a house and will be turning one of the spare 10'4"x12' bedrooms into a shop space. I am already planning to have 3x20a circuits home runner to the panel.

Looking for ideas or tips on how to help seal the door as well as vent a dust collector to the outside.

Any advice or tips is welcome.

Planned tools include:
Lathe
Miter saw
Table saw (in homemade rolling cart)
Drill press
9" band saw
Dust collector with cyclone separator

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Magma

It is just me, hence why I can put my shop inside and have climate control vs working in the garage in Texas.

Here is a rough layout plan

Attachments

• shop idea.jpg
    shop idea.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 205
Last edited:

Dehn0045

Venting your dust collector to the outside would probably tax your home HVAC system, especially in the summer. Also, would probably pull a bit of a vacuum on the room, depending how sealed up the room is. I would suggest putting the dust collector in a closet with some sound proofing and vent it back to the shop. The shop might get a little warmer, but at least the rest of the house will be unaffected. I don't have any personal experience with this, just my thoughts -- I have been considering an indoor shop as well and will be interested to see how your shop turns out! Good luck!

thawkins87

I have a "hobby room" off my garage which is essentially a spare room. It's tied into the HVAC system to keep the room cool (you're absolutely right about the Texas heat), but the door is a heavy duty exterior door with weather stripping around it. I would think that would work to seal the door itself (and help with noise) but if the room is tied into the HVAC system you would have to have an air return vent as well as the air supply vent. As far as dust collection goes I can't be of much help. Most of my dust collection I do at the source with a shop vac, but I don't do much other than lathework in the hobby room and I haven't noticed a problem with dust finding its way back into the house.

Curly

10' x 12' is a very small space. Any chance there is another spare bedroom beside it that isn't allocated? If so consider leaving the wall between them out and adding it back when you want to sell.

Magma

Thanks for the tips so far. I am not 100% sure I need to vent the DC. The closet was going to be storage for blanks but that's not a bad idea.

I need to keep the other room as a bedroom so unfortunately taking the wall out won't work. I currently am making do with workspace in a 2 car garage with 2 cars in it so 10x12 will be an upgrade.

For the door, I am considering replacing the standard interior one with an exterior and adding some form of seal. There is no air return so I need to be careful on how tightly it seals.

bmachin

It's hard to imagine that you aren't going to generate a fair amount of airborne dust that is not going to make it to the dust collector. I would at least consider using a door that seals well and then adding a return through the door with a furnace filter over it to help keep that dust out of the rest of the house.

Bill

stonepecker

And when they are on sale.........an air cleaner is a great way to keep the dust in the room. What about one of those front door draft stops? One that goes under the door and has a "tube of material" on both sides?

Hearing and breathing protection is going to be a must in that room. I do like your lay-out.

Charlie_W

If you choose to place the dust collector in the closet, you can use louvered doors to let the air return into the room. Lining the walls of the closet with moving blankets along with the louvered door will help a good bit with noise control. Harbor Freight is a good source for the blankets. Additional blanket/s could be hung between the dust collector and the door (if enough space) to baffle the sound but allow air to move around the blanket.

A friend of mine has a basement shop and has a storage closet with pegboard on the two walls facing the shop area. He placed his dust collector in the closet and the pegboard allowed the return air into the shop. Works very nicely!

Good luck with your shop!

Top Bottom