sharping carbide bits - Page 2 - International Association of Penturners
     International Association of Penturners
Pens for Service Members

Support The IAP

Go Back   International Association of Penturners > Community Forums > Shops, Jigs, Fixtures & Tools
  Forgot Password
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Shops, Jigs, Fixtures & Tools Show off and discuss your workshop and everything in it.

Logged on members can hide ads!

Welcome to penturners.org!

You've found the home of The International Association of Penturners. You are currently viewing our site as a guest, which gives you limited access to view discussions, photos, and library articles.

Consider joining our community today. You'll have full access to all of our content, be able to enter our contests, find local chapters near you, and post your questions and share your experience with our members all over the world.

Membership is completely free!!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-14-2017, 08:13 AM   #11 (permalink)

Photos: 4

I was being cheap and trying to resharpen mine according to the ways above and finally ordered some from Global Tooling and turned an acrylic with them and I can tell you the new ones cut unlike any I had sharpened. For $35.00 including shipping for 10 inserts I will buy them new from now on.
Seer is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 11-14-2017, 11:30 AM   #12 (permalink)

Photos: 0

I have recently researched sharpening knifes, skews and cutters. I have credit card and several diamond plates. To lengthen the life of them use their lapping fluid. It's ridiculously expensive but is far thinner than oil, and still has the ability to lubricate. I started researching this because I had a 1200 EZ LAP diamond plate that had lost a fair amount of its grit, even though it was only 8 months old. I had been using oil, and the "slurry" generated had adhered itself into the grit. I was able to clean it with a number of products and got some of it's grit exposed again, but it is still not what it was before.

I had never sharpened any cutters, but I had saved them, throwing them into a corner of a drawer. There was quite a few there, I sharpened them all, and tested some of them. As mentioned, I found they were improved but not like new one. I guess it depends on what you turn and how "thrifty" you are. They seem to cut wood well, and acrylic ok. I watched the Woodcraft video where they said to use a 600-1000 card and just rub it around 10 to 15 times.....I found it was far improved to follow as previously suggested, and rub it around 50 times or so each direction. I would go 300-600-1200 grits. I did not start at 300 and some of mine where "well used"....I might go back and try that.

I also have been able to get some of my knives to a razor finish by ending with a leather strop and compound sticks...anyone have any idea it that would help the carbide insert?

www.hallsphoto.com

Procrastinate Later
--Unknown Author

Last edited by moke; 11-14-2017 at 11:36 AM.
moke is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 11-14-2017, 11:34 AM   #13 (permalink)

Moke, I'm glad you brought up lapping fluid. I think oil is way too thick like you said. I do a lot of flat work, not just turning so I sharpen A LOT of HSS steels as well on big diamond stones and have found Windex does a pretty good job. You should give that a shot if you want to test the waters with a more budget friendly option. Any window cleaner will do really.
Advertisement
Old 11-14-2017, 12:10 PM   #14 (permalink)

I use kerosene as my honing oil. A lot cheaper and just as effective.
dogcatcher is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Related Content
Logged on members can hide ads