Sharpening/stropping

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

bwebb

From what I've seen in many of the posts dealing with sharpening, the system of choice is a slow speed grinder and the OneWay Wolverine system.
Do you get a nice sharp edge on your tools with the Wolverine and grinder without stropping? Or, do most of you strop and just haven't mentioned it?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dario

I don't have both mentioned sharpenening systems but will answer your question about stropping.

I don't strop my woodturning tools. I believe some tools actually cut better with the microscopic jagged edge. It gives them "teeth"... JMHO.

My carving tools (which are buried somewhere now [:D]) is a different story...they get stropping regularly when used, not just after sharpening.

woodwish

I also agree. Once just for fun I stropped my trusty skew. It may have made some difference but enough to make worth the trouble. To my way of thinking from staring at the tools for many hours I can see that the skew needs to be razor sharp to cut at optimum efficiency, but straight from the grinder usually is sharp enough. Gouges are a different story but same method. I think since many times they used at an angle to the cutting surface it actually helps to have some tooth as Dario said above. I think stropping a gouge would actually hurt the efficiency, or at least would not help. Scrapers are actually better if you burnish the edge after grinding to give it a slight burr. I think it would take a metal burnisher to do this, stropping would accomplish nothing. I do not claim to be a sharpening expert, but I this is what works for me.

My woodcarving tools, although not used as much as I used to, always get stropped

It took me a number of years to conclude that a turning tool was a disposable, just like sandpaper. Grind the suckers and turn, when it gets the least bit dull, grind again. When too short to use properly, get another one.

You can spend hours whet stoning, stropping, buffing the edges on turning tools. Add the hours up, pay yourself $25 per hour and figure out what it cost you. Compare that to the price of a new tool.

Rifleman1776

Originally posted by angboy
<br />OK, I give- what's stropping??? [?][?]

Stropping is a final step in sharpening. Often done with leather, either plain or impregnated with fine honing powder. As others have said, for turning not necessary. Any wire edge left from sharpening will be 'stropped' off in about the first half-second of turning. For carving tools, that's a whole 'nuther story. Stropping is the only way to get sharpeness needed for carving.

Dario

Stropping is as described by Frank...it is the only way to get true "razor sharp" edge. You can actually use leather impregnated with your white diamond or other buffing compound.

I personally believe that stropping a turning tool is not worth it. While it may help on some cases, the time and effort put to it will not pay off as much due to the nature of turning.

MDWine

I have a 2-speed grinder (from Woodcraft) and the Wolverine, and I love'm both!

I know you can make your own sharpening jig, but for the price, I can do something else with that time!! I think the Wolverine does a great job!!

The grinder is great, and I use it on slow (1600 rpm) to sharpen tools. (I am considering a slow wet/dry grinder for carving knives, however!)

HTH

KenV

I do not strop, but I do hone with an india stone or diamond hone - a few licks and back to the wood. I am sure it is a style thing and a desire to have sharp tools always. I never feel the need to push, especially with fine gouge or skew.

On the other hand, I almost never sharpen my parting tool -- 24 teeth per inch bimetalic hacksaw blade in a frame.

TomServo

Quite a few people use diamond stones between trips to the grinder - just use the hollow grind as your guide and a few licks of the stone and you're back to lethal. After using the stones a couple times, back to the grinder to restore the hollow grind and edge... Saves time and tool, especially if you already have diamond stones.

Someone posted a sort of homemade wolverine type jig - made from some leftover 1x3's or something. Lots cheaper than a $50 wolverine jig..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom