Sharpening questions and venting

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

winpooh498

We have NEEDED to get a sharpening system for a long time now. We have looked at the Tormek, Jet, Jewel Tool, Wolverine, and even the knock off at Harbor Freight. We had a good month of selling and finally had the money to spend,:D so this morning we went to Woodcraft to ask a few more questions and then buy either the Tormek or Jet. What a joke that was!! [xx(] We were told that "the Jet makes a good boat anchor, and the Tormek makes a good sharpener". [?] We were also told that if we were using it to sharpen turning tools the wheel wouldn't last more then a few months. The guy did recommend the Wolverine system, but when we showed him the size tools we use he said "don't get the Wolverine system because they are to small and the grinder would just eat it up". [:0] He also said that the Tormek was not good for sharpening skews? [?] They then told us to go to Harbor Freight and look at their knock-off again, buy it and use the Tormek jigs, we did. They only had a "display model" and told us we would have to contact their warehouse to get one.:( :( So here we are ready to buy and no one wants to sell one to us. We feel like we have been force fed so much S&*^ today it isn't even funny!!
Some good news is that we found out that our Woodcraft store is for sale, so hopefully who ever buys it will get new staff that are more helpful then a mud fence!
So I know that everyone has an opinion on what type of sharpening system is best, but has anyone been told this kind garbage about the different systems? Based on what we were told none of these were any good for what we do.

We do have a few questions for you:
1) Why are some of you using the Jet with the Tormek jigs? Is there something wrong with the Jet jigs?
2) We are using the pen turners set of tools, are they to small to use on the wolverine?
3) Has anyone used the HF version?

We know that we could probably save some money by ordering it off line, but we like to keep things local when possible. But I will guaranty you that this Woodcraft will NOT get anymore of our money. We just want to get the best bang for our buck!

Thanks for any answers
Dawn & Shane

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

dalemcginnis

Local Chapter Leader
That guy must be getting a kickback from HF, or since the stores for sale he doesn't give a -. I have a tormek and it works just fine with turning tools. I've only had it a few months but my wheel is no where near being worn out. I did have the wolverine system and on that I tend to agree with the helpless clerk. I did feel it was grinding my tools to death. That's not the fault of the jigs, just the grinder (and perhaps myself).
Any way, if I had it all to do over knowing what I know now I would have bought the tormek right away.[^]

Forgot to add I am sharpening both the small penturners and full sized tools on the tormek. I only sharpened full size on the grinder, hadn't bought the penturners set yet.

mdburn_em

In studying the reviews, there are some problems with the Jet jigs. They're not as precise I guess. If you can afford the Tormek, do it. If your budget will only allow for the Jet, get that but get the Tormek jigs.
Yes, you can use small tools with the Wolverine sharpening system. Get a good top-quality http://www.oneway.ca/sharpening/wheels.htm wheel and use a light touch.

IPD_Mrs

CSUSA has the Tomak on sale for $299, the same as the Jet. Shipping is $20 and if you have questions they will connect you to one for the guys from their school who will give you more info than you can digest.

rherrell

I have a Tormek and it sharpens skews just fine.Just remember you get what you pay for.Buy a Tormek once or a HF over and over and ov... well, you get my point.

great12b4ever

Get the Tormek! The Jet is basically a good machine and I have nothing negative to say about the main unit, but here have beena lot of negative reviews on the Jet jigs. They do not seem to hold everything tight and secure, and if you are doing a double grind on a fingernail bowl gouge, you must have it safe and secure. I haven't used the Wolverine so can't comment about it. Once you get used to the Tormek, and LABEL the settings on your tools, I can normally resharpen a 3/4" oval or flat skew in less than 2 minutes, including testing the edge and honing. With CSUSA having the Tormek at the same price as the Jet, to me, anyway, it is a no-brainer.

Rob

LanceD

Read this review from one of our members that bought a Jet system. This may answer a bunch of your questions.

http://www.penturners.org/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=23315&SearchTerms=tormek

ahoiberg

just as an idea... if you search google and some various turning sites, you can find some pretty nice looking homemade sharpening set ups. and there's nothing more gratifying than building your own! [:D]

personally, i've been learning to sharpen by hand, but it's only HF tools, so i don't mind that i suck at it... [;)]

Fred

Whoever the so-called sales clerk was that told you that line of bunk ought to be fired on the spot. He very obviously has no idea what he was talking about. The Tormek is an excellent tool for any sharpening task you care to use it for. As long as you properly mount the tool in the jig you will get an excellent edge. I would put my skew up against that idiots [}:)] neck and ask him if it is sharp or not. He obviously has no idea as to how to use a skew ... again, an IDIOT!

I agree with you that the Tormek is expensive, but then again quality is what you are getting ... not to mention excellent support, reputation, and a willingness from a company that stands behind their products 1000%.

The JET is also good, but many of us here don't use their jigs as the Tormek jigs are indeed superior. I personally do not care for the JET unit as it has too much plastic on it compared to the amount of metal of the Tormek. Nice unit for the money, but I would have to have the Tormek over it no question in my mind.

Go back to Woodcraft and get the Tormek ... quit waiting. Take your skew with you and threaten the jerk from before! If I was the owner of the store I would appreciate being told of this dudes 'mouth' [:D]

doddman70

Originally posted by Fred_erick
<br />Whoever the so-called sales clerk was that told you that line of bunk ought to be fired on the spot. He very obviously has no idea what he was talking about. If I was the owner of the store I would appreciate being told of this dudes 'mouth' [:D]

I agree that he is a IDIOT! The sales man is the same man that teaches the sharpening classes at the store, that is why we went to ask him about the differences. Unfortunately we have gotten just a good advice and treatment from the owner! The store is for sale so hopefully it will get better soon! Until the store sells they will not get anymore money from us.

Woodlvr

Doesn't CSUSA have the tormek on sale for $299.00? I went to my local WC and they had the Tormek 2006 for $399.00 and a clerk mentioned that there was a new model coming out(?) and that they could not match CSUSA's sale price.[:(] Thank you all for the great information that you are providing to us. [:D]

Mike

oldsmokey

Dario posted a link to an independent testing lab that tested both the tormek and the jet. Both are excellent. The difference is the jet has two speeds that make some sharpening faster. At this time the jet does not have the jigs available that tormek has. The jigs fit both machines. I have a tormek and love it. Both machines will sharpen any turning tool.
If I was buying today I would look real close at the jet.
As fas as that salesman go's, I can see why the woodcraft store is for sale. No profit with salesman who do not know their products and no ability to sell.

kent4Him

I also agree, if you have the money, get the Tormek. At CSUSA's price with shipping, you'll even save quite a bit over the local store.

I went to the Tormek partly because my wolverine did not handle my small gouges very well. No way to get a good irish grind. If I was only doing bowls with my large gouges, I probably would have stayed with the wolverine.

The guy was an idiot. The only thing easier to sharpen on the Tormek than a skew are scrapers.

its_virgil

It is on for $299 and the CSUSA vendor told me at the SWAT symposium this weekend that the new model will have a $100 price increase...at least that is what I understood him to say.
Do a good turn daily!
Don
Originally posted by Woodlvr
<br />Doesn't CSUSA have the tormek on sale for $299.00? I went to my local WC and they had the Tormek 2006 for $399.00 and a clerk mentioned that there was a new model coming out

Mike

Woodlvr

I do understand that the Tormek is heavier and more solid, less plastic? I did see the new Tormek online somewhere, Tormek T-7 for $499.00. Too much for me.

Mike

I have the Jet and I bought the Tormek jigs. I like the Jet for the variable speed and lower cost. I looked at the Jet and the Tormek jigs. Tormek makes better jigs; especially the skew and gouge jigs. I HAD the Wolverine system and did not like the heat or the amount of metal that the dry grinder takes for sharpening. I don't think you can go wrong with the Jet or the Tormek.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom