Sharpening Newbie

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ghansen4

I just setup my new Rikon grinder and Wolverine sharpening jig. As someone brand new to sharpening/grinding I have some really basic questions. (I watched a few YouTube videos but I'm having a hard time finding any at the right level.)

1. When do you use each wheel? I think one is a 60 grit and one is 120. Obviously one will take off more material than the other. But still, when is that desirable?

2. Do I need to get a diamond hone also?

3. There is a small tool included that is not mentioned in the instructions. It is a small crossbar, one video said it's too true up the grinding wheel? How often does that need to be done?

Thanks!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

KenV

You are not a production turner. That is important because production turners do things reflecting lots of experience and a need for fast through put. Make it fast is paramount.

For us mere mortals, the coarse wheel shapes and the fine wheel does the sharpening and leaves the better ground edge for turning.

Honing is a matter of choice. I hone because my experience is it lets me turn more and sharpen less. Some turners never hone. (I use hand tools and carving tools and hone edges there too).

Diamond bar is a wheel dresser. Bits of steel get embedded in the stone, and wear is never perfectly even and the dresser grind off the wheel surface so it is clean and straight.

Dressing is an occasional process when you see steel in the pores, or you see the wheel is getting uneven.

dogcatcher

If I remember correctly you are in San Antonio, check with the local Woodcraft store, I believe the local chapter of the AAW meets there. A few hours of hands on mentoring will put the learning curve behind you.

flyitfast

If I remember correctly you are in San Antonio, check with the local Woodcraft store, I believe the local chapter of the AAW meets there. A few hours of hands on mentoring will put the learning curve behind you.

The Alamo Woodturners Assoc. meet on the fourth Thur of the month (next week - 28th) at the San Antonio Woodcraaft at 6:30pm. The IAP Chapter Alamo Penturners meet on the first Thur of the month at the same place and time.
We would welcome you to both meetings. We had a demo on sharpening at our last pen meeting, but there are several that would be willing to discuss and assist you with sharpening questions.
Hope you will visit with us next week.
Gordon
Thanks dogcatcher.........

Last edited:

leehljp

Member Liaison
Greg,

You will do well and you will go far in turning and other wood working endeavors. Anyone care enough to FOCUS in on sharpening will make it. Too many just want it to get sharp enough to get the job done and don't think about the techniques and rewards that come from having sharp tools.

BTW, a well sharpened and honed HSS tool is different than a carbide tool. Carbides last longer but HSS can be honed to a sharper state and the experienced hand can tell.

Wildman

This is the Wolverine dressing kit. No you do not need this to keep your wheels clan or true. I have this and use the bar set up for freehand sharpening. Save your money!

Packard Woodworks: The Woodturner's Source: Oneway Sharpening System

A lot of folks like this style of wheel dresser. You can pay a little or a lot for one, but using your Wolverine platform works just fine.

https://www.amazon.com/POWERTEC-710...6255929&sr=8-2&keywords=diamond+wheel+dresser

POWERTEC Diamond Grinding Wheel Dresser-71003 - The Home Depot

I like this style single point diamond wheel dresser with homemade holder. Simply drill a hole in a block of wood and use either my bar or platform to dress my wheels. These things come in different sizes 1/4", 3/8", or 1/2" works just fine.

Diamond Dresser 1/4 Carat | Grizzly Industrial

To hone your tools after sharpening will get you lot of yes & no responses. I don't any more just go from grinder to turning these days, but will touch up an edge with diamond card file now and then. Not knowing how to hone correctly actually dulled my gouge. Even though now know how don't. A diamond hone or card good op just buy a good one.

Woodchipper

My Rikon grinder came with a dressing tool. I have never used the coarse wheel....yet. Mark the cutting part of the tool with a Sharpie. Set the angle of the tool by laying the tool on the wheel and adjust so all of the tool rests on the wheel. Take the tool out and start up. Sharpen with a light touch. You many have to adjust so all the Sharpie is removed. Mark the bar position so you can return to it later. Practice is a key. I keep my Rikon about two steps from my lathe. Protect the edge with blue painter's tape. FWIW, I always clean my tools with DNA when I'm done and then tape the tips.

donstephan

ghansen4

You didn't include what types of projects (pens, larger spindles, bowls, . . .) you want to make and what types of tools (roughing gouge, spindle gouge, parting tool, skew, bowl gouge, scraper, . . .) you have.

When turning through the transition from side to bottom on bowls, many turners will relieve the heel of the bevel so that only a narrow band of the bevel, as little as 1/8" or even 1/16", contacts the wood. I use the coarse wheel to relieve this heel. I also use the coarse wheel to shape the end of a new scraper. Otherwise my lathe tools all see the finer wheel.

moke

I have been using a diamond stone for a while now. I have a couple of grinders and set up's but I now really like the skews and really mostly hone them. You can get your tools very sharp and it's pretty easy, but if you are using bowl gouges or fingernail gouges you should probably only hone once or twice, then regrind.
And diamond plates are cheap compared to other sharpening stuff. Buy a good one,
DMT or EZLapping are two good brands....leave HF in the store.

Grinding/sharpening takes a lot more material off of your tools then a diamond stone/plate. There are multiple you tube videos that you can really pick up some pointers. Sharpening and honing is kind of an art, a little instruction can only help.
Practice makes perfect.
Good Luck...

Woodchipper

Mike makes a good point- I also have the set of three DMT diamond files. Worth the money and I use them for sharpening knives, etc., and touching up turning tools.

Top Bottom