Sharpening jig/Grinder

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

KenV

I am puzzled --

Most of the tools I use are high speed steel and cobalt steel. I am learning to be a basic machinist and the metalurgy 101 says that you can "burn" carbon steel by over heating it and losing hardness (over temper). High speed and cobart steel sharpening instructions are not to get it red hot, and do not dip hot HSS into water as it tends to make it brittle.

I have done a fair bit with O-1 steel and drill rod as well as making springs with carbon steel -- and High Speed or Cobalt steel are different critters.

I have to really lean into the wheel to get hss red hot. A little blue does not appear to hurt the edges.

Puzzled Ken in Juneau Old Foopus Apprentice

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

woodman928

Randy
Grizzly had one for that in the store here in Springfield Missouri HF I think had a 8" high speed in the store for 39.99 sorry for the confusion and the delay getting back to you. [:)]
Jay

Thumbs

Randy, up here at the Muncy store Grizzly had the 6", 3450RPM grinders on sale at $29.99 and I think on special sale at $19.99. I wouldn't swear to that or if the sale was still even on,it might have been a Christmas special. I might get up there later this week and take a look. They had them stacked right by the entry here all summer and I was shocked but don't really need anymore grinders <s>since I have 2 six inchers and 2 eight inchers and 2 slow speed wet grinders now. I hate carrying tools around the different shops just to sharpen them!</s>

Sorry that sounded like an awful bad tool gloat![B)]

Randy_

Originally posted by Andy Ryan
<br />Check this out may be what you are looking for not that hard to build.

Couldn't stand it!![:D] Bought the raw materials at H/D yesterday and have already started putting one together.....probably would already be done; but I got distracted by a football game.[:(][:(]

Thumbs

Randy, The 6inch grinders at Grizzly are $19.95 on the floor while supplies last. Sorry I was late they just set up a new model lathe that is very similar to the model# G0584, except that it has a 2HP motor and a digital speed readout for $395; and I got sidetracked. It's not in their catalog yet. It's a 400 something model number and has the exact same cast iron frame as the 584. Heavy! Looooks verrry interestink! [;)]

Easysport

WOW, got the 8in slowspeed gringer with the Wolverine jig set up and working. I didn't know what sharp was til now. What a difference and what fun.[:p][:p] Thanks to all for the wonderful info and sure glad I started this thread. Way lots of good discusion.[:D][:D]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom