Sharpening issue

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

cowchaser

I am having a sharpening issue with my skew. I use the wolverine system with the skew attachment. I can't quite figure out what is going on, but is a crude drawing of what it has a tendency to end up looking like. I will try and get photos of the actual skew tomorrow. If anyone has any suggestions I would appreciate it.

2007122772857_untitled.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

txbatons

I don't have the answer, but I was about to purchase the skew attachment with some of my Christmas money, so I'll hang back and watch the advice before I spend the money on it.

cowchaser

Brian I personally don't think it has anything to do with the attachment. I think maybe my mount might be off center some (looks like it may be by eyeballing) or maybe the wheels on the grinder. For some reason it only looks like this on one side of the skew. The other looks fine, which is weird to me. Sure makes it hard to use a skew though.

Daniel

I have one guess from the little info I have here. You are not grinding the right side of the skew. I almost need to do a drawing to explain. Basically I am trying to imagine how you could get that shape from the grinding wheel and you would have to have the cutting edge vertical to the stone. it needs to be horizontal. Like I said that is pretty much a guess and I am not sure I am even looking at your drawing right.

cowchaser

When I grind I put the skew on the right side of the attachment with the long point of the skew to the left. Then switch sides and put on the left part of the attachment with the long tip end of the skew to the right. I thought maybe I was doing it backwards, but went back and watched the video again and that is how they show it. Yes it is horizontal. I don't know it's just another problem I always seem to have one issue or another. My tools never get "razor sharp" like everyone else talks about theirs getting.

Daniel

your description sounds right.
My only other question would be is if your stone surface is flat. sharpening will wear dips and such in the face of the stone. I also got the skew jig for Christmas so I will give mine a try when I get home. let you know if I get any other ideas. I don't think you will get truly "Razor Sharp" without a hone. I have the fine grit wheel on my grinder and it does get the tool very sharp but not like a razor. some metals cannot even be sharpened to a razor edge. Carbide is one for example. It takes a high quality steel to put that sort of thin edge on. I think carbon steel will take a sharper edge than HSS but will not swear to it. I do know that it is harder to overheat carbon steel so usually you get a better edge that lasts longer.

Fred

What diameter is your stone? The Tormek uses a 10" and with that size one is able to get a hollow ground edge on a flat edge skew with little trouble at all.

I use the Tormek with the proper tool jig and never have a problem maintaining a scary sharp edge. It definitely makes all the difference in the world to have a round stone, the proper jig, the correct setup (edge angle), and the proper grade of stone when sharpening.

Also, always make sure that the stone is dressed flat and that it is clean and not clogged with debris. [:D]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom