Sharpening DW733 Planner Blades

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

toddlf

I have neglected my Dewalt dw733 12.5" Planner for a long time. I finally decided it was time to take action and do some maintenance. I started by sharpening the blades. I made a video of this work and uploaded it to YouTube.

https://youtu.be/gLvzBiIrLpE

My Question to you is:

What other maintenance should I be performing on this piece of equipment?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
I have neglected my Dewalt dw733 12.5" Planner for a long time. I finally decided it was time to take action and do some maintenance. I started by sharpening the blades. I made a video of this work and uploaded it to YouTube.

https://youtu.be/gLvzBiIrLpE

My Question to you is:

What other maintenance should I be performing on this piece of equipment?

I once owned a Delta planer, 12", and would at times have a difficult time raising the motor up or down due to sawdust on the threaded rod. I would suggest that these rods be thoroughly cleaned and lubricated with a "dry" lubricant. I forget the lubricant I used but it was dry and didn't collect much dust. I also took the entire feed platform off and got all the shavings out from under the machine and from any other place I could find them. I have a Makita model 2040 planer now and I basically due the same with it, just at a much larger scale. I also inspect everything that I can see to make sure things aren't falling apart or need to be replaced. I don't sharpen any of my blades but have them professionally sharpened. They seem to last longer and that way they all come back "square" and true. Oh...and don't forget to get under your planer stand if you have one. Great place for Black Widows to hide out.

Brian G

I have a DW733, and as part of my maintenance routine I:

First unplug the machine!

Clean/wipe dust off the threaded rods that raise and lower the cutter head, and lubricate. I use white lithium grease. I have better luck with that than dry lube.

Clean the table with mineral spirits, and then wax it with Johnson's Paste wax.

Raise the cutter head to maximum height. This give you room to clean the front and rear feed rollers with mineral spirits. You should be able to loop a piece of paper towel over the roller to clean around the whole roller. Cleaning the rollers makes a big difference with feeding material.

Check the levelness of the infeed and outfeed supports with the table.

That's about it.

toddlf

Thank you both for the replies. I will be taking both of your advice and doing a little cleaning followed by some lubing.

Top Bottom