Sharpening on a belt sander

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Rockytime

Does anyone sharpen their HSS tools on a belt sander? I do not have any HSS tools as of yet but I would first have to have some sharpening system. I have two one inch belt sanders and a four inch belt sander. I am sure they could be used but is anyone using one with jigs of some kind. I also have two six inch bench grinders and could use them but I have for a long while used belt sanders to sharpen my HSS metal cutting bits. They are easy to sharpen by hand but gouges, etc need to be more precise. If anyone uses a belt sander I would like to know how you do it.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

triw51

I sharpened with a 4" x 36" belt sander. Capt. Eddie had a video on how to build up a platform with dimples that you could put a jig in to. The sander I have is a slower speed then my bigger sander. Works great

plantman

Besides my grinding stones and my hand stones, I also use my shopbuilt 4" X 36" belt sander to sharpen, flatten, and square my tools at times. I have a stop fence running at a 90 degree angle across the top of the belt, with a plywood base under the belt to keep everyting level. Its powered by a cog belt driven 1/3 HP motor so it doesn't slip when pressure is applied. The advantage I find with the belt sander is the fact that you can get up close and personal with it to see what you are actualy doing to your edge. I cut small triangler ramps, that slip fit over the fence on the outboard side, at the angle I want my tool to be sharpened at. This also allows me to put a double angle an plane irons or knife blades. It's a little late right now to go down to the shop and take photos, but if you are interested in seeing this setup, let me know and I will post some photos. Jim S

Last edited:

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
I'd sure like to see those photos, Jim.
I mostly just use diamond hones to dress my tools, but I've been thinking about using my 4x36 sander for better sharpening, so this is a very timely thread.

SteveG

I have a number of belt sanders all of which I use or have used for sanding wood. I think I would like to sharpen using a belt sander. So my question, which seems to fit with this thread, is what type of belt (abrasive) is correct for "sanding" HSS?

KBs Pensnmore

I use a 60 or 80 alum oxide belt to sharpen mine, no jigs just free hand, it's the same one used for all my metal work. I also use it for sharpening my large drill bits, 5/8 upwards, mind you I've been doing it for close to 40 years.
Kryn

TonyL

Bought a 1 x 42 Kalamazoo Belt Sander (per the advice of an IAP member) and LOVE it to sharpen my HSS. I also use it to square by barrels.

shastastan

Here's what I use. It's called a Carver Sharp. It runs at 1750 rpms. I use it for all of my sharpening. You can see one of my carving chisels on the belt. The other part not attached is used for my lathe chisels. The principle is pretty simple for chisels. You just move the base in and out until there's no daylight between the tool and the belt. It came with a leather strope belt, too. I don't remember where I bought the belts--maybe Industrial Abrasives? I also bought a little stand from Lee Valley that I use to sharpen my plane blades and also my scrapers.

Attachments

• carversharp 1.jpg
    carversharp 1.jpg
    212.8 KB · Views: 203

Rockytime

Thanks for the resources. I have seen lots of the Captains videos but not the one on the belt sander. I can do that with my little MIG.

plantman

I have posted a new thread with photos and an explaination of how I use my shop made belt sander and the jigs that I use to sharpen my tools. Jim S

Top Bottom