Sharpening beading tools?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

65GTMustang

I have a multi groove beaded tool along with a set of single bead tools each of which are beyond a simple touch up with a diamond hone to sharpen.
I have become fairly good at hand sharpen most of my tools. I use an Ellsworth grind on some and the rest are done by hand.
If anyone knows how / if these tools can be sharpened I would appreciate the how to info.
Thanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

randyrls

Kevin; I normally only hone the top surface of any grooving or beading tool. You can use a round file if the file fits the bead you are making.

ctubbs

Randy has the right answer. A complex shape should be sharpened from the flat surface if at all possible, the same as a blank squaring mill. I know, it sounds wrong but if you try to sharpen the shape, then it will never be exactly the same on the shape like it was when new. Sharpen the flat side and the shape does not change.
Charles

studioso

Why not use the tool to impress the shape on a scrap piece of wood and than use that piece as a strop? just sprinkle whatever sharpening compound u use, or u can buy diamond paste in tubes, and you got your custom tool!

Timbo

I purchased a set of diamond hones to sharpen my carbide inserts. I used the medium then fine to dress the back of my beading tools. It worked great! I'm sure a water stone would work as well, just not as fast.

randywa

I've never tried it on carbide but it does work on titanium valves, just slower. Valve lapping can be found at almost any auto or truck parts store. Just be sure to clean all residue from tools and hands before you touch that nice piece of holly. DAMHIKT

Top Bottom