Score !!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
The company I work for has 'down-sized' and is moving one of it's small UK factories. Because I worked at that factory for over ten years, they let me have first dibs in saving stuff from the skip !!
I grabbed a bunch of old test equipment, an 8 inch bench grinder and this beast of a drill press !! I believe it's around 50 years old and runs like a dream.
It has a great quill travel of 115mm ( or 4.5 inches in old money ) and has an amazing speed range of 80 to 4000 revs !!!:eek:
Unfortunately it has a 3 phase motor that I will swap for single phase.:rolleyes:

You can see in the pics that it dwarfs my mill and I swear is much heavier than my 10x21 ML !! My six foot six son and I had to split it from the base and we still struggled to move it!!

It's a W J Meddings Pacera, made in UK. The company is still going and amazingly say they still have many spares for these old machines.

Attachments

• DSCF2628.JPG
    DSCF2628.JPG
    348.3 KB · Views: 323
  • DSCF2629.JPG
    DSCF2629.JPG
    233.6 KB · Views: 289
  • DSCF2631.JPG
    DSCF2631.JPG
    289.1 KB · Views: 418
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Wow Lou, it's great to hear from you. :wink: But I have to say I'm very saddened by you having / wanting to sell up.
I also hope you stick around once you have got rid of it all. Your friendliness and vast knowledge is sorely missed around here.

Keep well old friend.

stonepecker

Happy for you Skip. Glad the company decided to allow you first dibs. Means the know how much you are worth to them.
Yes, those old machines are usually better built then the stuff we get today.
Treasure it because it will always remind you of the company even when you retire.
(May that be another 50 years from today)

Keep turning my friend.

Curly

Nice bit of scrounging. :) Unless single phase motors that will fit are easy to find I would look for a VFD so the old girl can stay original. Cost of a new motor may not be much different from the VFD. You could also use it on another machine with the same size motor if you ever got another 3 phase toy.

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Well, I sent an email to the company and they replied within hours.:eek:
They sent me scanned copies of all the drawings as well as a full parts list.
The lady that replied said my serial number was made in May 1961.........same month and year I was born.....!!!!!:biggrin:
Cool huh???:biggrin:

Top Bottom