save a life

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

steamshovel

This little gadget is used for marking a dimple in wood or metal to help drill at the right location either in wood or metal. It can be used to break out a window in a vehicle. If you are submerged in water this will come in handy to break out a window. All you do is put the pointed end on the window and push down. It is spring loaded and will break that window like nothing.
I use one in my shop for marking so I can drill in the precise spot. You can also sharpen the point to make a small dimple if desired.
I have one in both my vehicles and my kids and grandkids*have one in their vehicles.
I also have it in the vehicles for another reason. The idiot that leave their kids in a vehicle that heats up. I saw a guy use a hammer once when a baby was in a car seat and in a dead sweat. I have had this little device for 15-20 years.
Its good for the shop and mostly it could save a life.

Preston

Attachments

• DSC04199.jpg
    DSC04199.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 213
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

stonepecker

It works on the side windows only. Never had it break/shatter a windshield of back window. Just a little FYI. Most firemen and Medical personal have them at all times.

Skie_M

It works on the side windows only. Never had it break/shatter a windshield of back window. Just a little FYI. Most firemen and Medical personal have them at all times.

Front and rear windows or windshields have been made of laminated glass, for safety. Pure glass, like the side windows, will easily shatter and fly apart, where in a front end or rear end collision, auto makers preferred to keep their passengers safer by keeping them in the car. Making these large windshields and rear windows from plate glass rather than safety glass (like the side windows) also means that a single crack won't shatter the entire surface, making it impossible to see through them when the crack occurs. Safety first!

Most modern windshields are made with 3 to 5 (or more) layers of optically clear glass and plexiglass... glass on the outsides (and sometimes also in the center), with plexiglass securely bonded to them on the inside to keep pieces from flying off and hitting passengers or bystanders. (The 5-layer and up laminations are for bullet resistance applications.)

CrashmanS

Most windows (except the windshield) in a car have always been tempered safety glass. It will shatter into small square pieces. Windshields have, for a long time, been made from a laminated safety glass. This was to keep occupants in and out side stuff out. But after all its only glass so it does have its limits. The laminate is in between two glass layers. However gm had a design with the laminate on the inside. Great in concept until someone scraped the inside to install an inspection sticker. Only lasted a few years. Now they are back to regular laminate glass. However some cars also have laminate glass on the side door glasses now. You can tell which you have by rolling down your window and looking at the edge. It will be easily visible that it there is a layer between two pieces of glass.
So make sure what type of windows you have before relying on a punch to get from a car in an emergency. If they are tempered then, yes it will make quick work of it.
It will however tell you which it is on the glass label in the corner. I work in a body shop and have come across about every type of glass. And tempered glass is harder to break than TV lets us believe. But if tempered a spring loaded center punch is the tool to have.
c3367486be037a67aedd87b86e452491.jpg

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

Top Bottom