Router Tables

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

dfurlano

I'm not going to make one.

I would like to buy one any recommendations on types or features? Anyone have a top lift? Any Jessem or Bench Dog owners?

Thanks.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
make your own, a piece of sheet stock with a hole.
fence can bee a stright borad with two clamps.
Pen turners are not necessarily woodworkers as you may find

Paul in OKC

Not to disagree, if you want to buy one, do so. I am cheap. I drive by a local cabinet shop regularly and they put out old counter tops that they remove. Picked up a piece one day, about 24"x24". Nice smooth surface (nice avacodo green pattern to boot!). Put the hole for the router towards the back. Will make the fence with some aluminum angle and a 1 by something. It's heavy and won't move around the work bench.

Thumbs

Dan, Aren't you relatively close to MLCS? Check out their tables. They are supposed to be near the PSI store in Philly. I think....... There is also a router lift add-on available that's rather cheap and I think they have them available, too. I forget the brand name now but I got two of them. They work fine and are a whole lot cheaper than some of the big brand names and allow you to easily use your router in and out of the table. You may have to drill and tear apart and re-assemble your router's base though. I did! One was very easy, the other less so, but not difficult either. I think I got them at MLCS but it may have been Rockler so you might want to check them out, too.

Have fun shopping![:p]

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Originally posted by Rifleman
<br />I've always wondered why most router tables cost more, in some cases a lot more, than the routers themselves. A full-blown jointer is often less money than a table. Just wonderin' [?]

A new conspiracy? [}:)]

alamocdc

Dan, if I were to "buy" a new router table, it would probably be MLCS' new horizontal version. http://www.mlcswoodworking.com/shopsite_sc/store/html/smarthtml/pages/horiztabl.html
JMO.

dfurlano

Thanks for the suggestions. I do live about 90 minutes from MLCS and have visited there a few times. PSI and MLCS is the same store, brothers I am told.

Billy,

The only concern I have about the horizontal is that they "strongly" suggest that you use tall bits. I don't know if that limits the selection and if it will be a little more unstable due to the length. Have to check it out.

btw: speaking of expensive holy cow on the jessem prices!

Thanks again.

alamocdc

Dan, MLCS also makes a bit extender. Got Best New Tool in a number of woodworking mags a year or so ago. That might aid in the tall bit department, but it depends on what you will use the table for the most. I would be using it more for case work and M&T joints so it would work well for my needs. Again, that's just me.

Fangar

I have a Rockler Table. I have made them in the past and really they are not hard to make.

But For 159 dollars, The rockler is a great table. Comes with a very nice Aircraft Aluminum router plate. You can specify your plate to match your router. I also bought the Fold up legs that were avilable. I am able to hang the thing on the wall when not in use, which to me is pinnacle. It is a nice large size too. I have made some huge cabinets for a utility room in my home and let me tell you, that the table worked great. I made the doors with Stile and Rail, and routed their entire edges (After they were assembled). The doors are 5 feet long and the table was very stable and the stock easy to control. A Picture is worth 1000 words.

2005126175053_cabinets.jpg

Also, here is a photo to show the fold up legs. They are suprisingly sturdy. This was taken when I was making my daughters bed.

2005126174733_bedphoto31.jpg

Here is a link to Rockler's website:

Click Here for the table

Cheers,

Fangar

woodwish

Dan, for my flatwork I used to have a Craftsman router table and to be honest I am surprised I still have all my fingers from using that piece of trash. When I built my new shop I plunged for Jessum mechanism and built it into a cabinet along a wall. I built dust collection into the cabinet below the lift and also into the fence. I built my own fence but my someday buy a better commericial one. I absolutely love the lift, it was worth every $$$. Have no idea how many hours I have used it with absolute precision and no problems with the lift.

The only problem I have ever had was with some MCLS bits. I had heard good things about them but the two I ordered are so badly out of balance it about shakes the whole shop apart when I use them. When I was using them it caused the router lift to shake so bad it started changing the height of the cutter. My only solution was to take a piece of duct tape and tape the height adjustment dial to the lift so it couldn't spin. I don't know if all MCLS bits are like that but it would not be likely for me to ever order from them again.

I'll try to find a picture at home tonight, my shop used to be on this forum but I think it has been deleted by now.

wayneis

Dan it depends on what you want to do with it. I have an Incra and just love it but then I like doing all of the fancy joints. I've used it to make wooden hinges for jewelry boxs, rount out intricate inlays and of course the double dovetails using two colors of wood in a dovetail joint. Unless you want to do this kind of real fancy stuff then its way over kill and there are much cheaper ways to go. If this is something that you are interested in and you have any questions then just email me.

Wayne

wayneis

Frank there can be several reasons why, first of all is the steps that manufactures go through to get and keep a flat table. Most router tables, at least the good ones will be at least 1 1/2" thick or more. Then you get in to the fence setup, that can be as simple as a piece of board mounted so that it will slide back and forth all the way to an intricate system like Incra and a couple others make. Then when you start talking about routers themselves, well you can go from fifty bucks to over five hundred. It all comes down to what you want to do with the router and table. The router and table can be a lot of fun and a huge money maker but most people don't understand what they can and will do with a little imagination.

I have the Incra setup and have done the double double dovetails and they are something else and if done right a customer won't think twice about dropping a grand for a nice jewerly or music box.

Wayne

Originally posted by Rifleman
<br />I've always wondered why most router tables cost more, in some cases a lot more, than the routers themselves. A full-blown jointer is often less money than a table. Just wonderin' [?]

dfurlano

I looked at the incra system and it is very nice. I want to use it exactly as you stated for small intricate work. This will now have to wait since I found a great deal on a Grizzly mill/drill. I have been waiting to buy one of these for a while now...

Thanks again for the info.

Originally posted by wayneis
<br />Dan it depends on what you want to do with it. I have an Incra and just love it but then I like doing all of the fancy joints. I've used it to make wooden hinges for jewelry boxs, rount out intricate inlays and of course the double dovetails using two colors of wood in a dovetail joint. Unless you want to do this kind of real fancy stuff then its way over kill and there are much cheaper ways to go. If this is something that you are interested in and you have any questions then just email me.

Wayne

pen-turners

I got a new router table last year and LOVE it. It is a Bosch and has one of the sturdiest fences I have ever seen. It also comes with a plate that is easily adaptable to just about any router. I have had problems in the past finding adapters for my Milwaukee router but this table fit it perfectly. It is portable so I can move it or take it with me which is an added plus.

It really depends what your uses are. Does it need to be portable?? Or do you have a dedicated space in your shop to put it??? This will make all the difference in the world. I have to put the table away when I am done with it because I do not have a shop, therefore it led me to get the Bosch. It was ranked #1 among portable router tables.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom