Router Lathe

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chuck Key

This one is a version of the router lathe described in the book Router Magic by Bill Hylton. Just got it together yesterday and started learning to use it today. Already have some changes planned and would be interested in any suggestion for changes or improvements from our group as well.

The last picture shows the smallest and largest pitch I am able to get with the gears I have been able to find. I made the long pitch blank as a result of discussion in the penturners chat last night. It is actually 5 flats that are twisted the length of the stock. I may try a pen something like the one discussed in the chat based on the results of this test.

Here are a couple of photos:

<center>
2006712225336_twistit.jpg

2006712225419_twistit1.jpg

200671222554_twistit2.jpg

2006712225548_twistit3.jpg

</center>

Chuckie

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

PenWorks

Kudo's Chuckie, that is exactly what I wanted to do.
Beat me to the punch. [:)]
Are the sides flat, they look a little fluted?
Great job on the home made jigs. Are those sprockets from Bruce Boone's bike [:D]

its_virgil

Great job Chuckie. It looks like that router/lathe is built on a mini lathe. From what you've done so far it looks like you well on you way to make that Visconti Devine Proportion pen not so devine. I've had that pen bouncing around my empty head since I first saw it awhile back. I too played with that flat spiral using my little stand alone MillLathe...but you are ahead of me...and you had to first build the machine to do it. It will be interested to see what we "penturners" do with this "flat spiral" inspiration.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

Chuck Key

Anthony:

Are the sides flat, they look a little fluted?

I used a straight bit cutting in from the side so they are flat from at least one view. They do look fluted from another view.

Great job on the home made jigs. Are those sprockets from Bruce Boone's bike

I believe the sprocket are from Bruce's bike. I got a whole hand full for $1 at the used bike parts shop although they do not appear to be titanium[:(]

Kevin:

Can you (or Anthony)do a tapered spiral?

It will do limited tapered spirials depending on the width and length needed. However, at this point I would perfer to practice on my odds and ends rather than runining you stuff[:)]

Don:

It looks like that router/lathe is built on a mini lathe

Yes, it is attached to the mini lathe at two point on the bed much like the banjo is attached. Just a cross piece with a bolt and anchor attached under the bed.

I to have thought about the long spirial for quite some time but was limited by the pitch I could get out of my metal lathe. The pitch shown is about 5.75 inches but I believe I can get at least an additional two inches maybe more with a larger sprocket.

Any suggestion on how to get rid of the flute?

PenWorks

Originally posted by Chuck Key
<br /> Any suggestion on how to get rid of the flute?

Whhhyyyyy, I think the flute looks great.
Are you cutting it with the router bit off to the side?
That should give you the flat cut. (edit) Duh I just read you did cut it from the side.

Kevin, I have done tapered rope cuts & tapered flats, but it will be several months before I can catch up to Chuckie on the tapered spiral flats. He has more time than me right now [:)]

scubaman

Passed Away Jun 20, 2018
In Memoriam
<br />I used a straight bit cutting in from the side so they are flat from at least one view. They do look fluted from another view.

I think flute is not the right word. When you make a cut like you did, the surface will look concave, unless the bit is perpendicular to the direction of travel on the workpiece. Don't know how to say this better ;-) You'd have to tilt your router, raising the headstock edge

Chuck Key

Thought so, back to the drawing board.

Originally posted by scubaman
<br />
<br />I used a straight bit cutting in from the side so they are flat from at least one view. They do look fluted from another view.

I think flute is not the right word. When you make a cut like you did, the surface will look concave, unless the bit is perpendicular to the direction of travel on the workpiece. Don't know how to say this better ;-) You'd have to tilt your router, raising the headstock edge

Chuck Key

I am not sure this version is a direct fit for other than the Merc. For example do the Turncrafter and Jet have a 1x8 left hand thread on the left side of the head stock spindle?

Chuckie

Originally posted by JimGo
<br />So, when are you going to start selling these as kits for us lazy people?

ilikewood

Hey that is cool. I have been doing this to turn perfect dowels for a while. I turn the lathe on and the router and cut at the same time. Real quick easy way to make dowels.

JimGo

<br />For example do the Turncrafter and Jet have a 1x8 left hand thread on the left side of the head stock spindle?

I know my Turncrafter Pro is threaded (my handwheel keeps coming free, and I keep forgetting to tighten the set-screw...stupid allen screws), but I'm not sure the exact size. I'll try to get out to my shop and measure it if no one else is able to supply the measurements. I'll also try to note (if my mind can get wrapped around it) whether it's left-hand or right-hand threaded.

Tom McMillan

Wow, guess I'll have to look for that book. Looks like a nice set-up, and appears it'll make fairly tight spirals. Wonder if it'll work on a smaller lathe---could try to set one up on my lil ol' Grizzly. Sure would beat the ol' rasp!! Anyway, Anthony---if you're getting tired of the ol' Legacy---I can send you my address good buddy!! [:D]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom