Router Bits - Need Brand Recommendations

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

WalkOn

Recently bought a nice Bosch router and their benchtop table and now need to purchase the bits. I'd like to get some really good ones, been looking at Freud. But don't need to over spend if there are other bits just as good for less money.

So, what do think, got a favorite brand.

Thanks in advance.

Kev

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
The MCLS bits are going reasonable priced bits. They also have some higher end bits they market as Katana, they cost a little more but I think the edge lasts longer. Another good bit is the CMT bits, but they are going to be in the price rang of the Whiteside or Freud

Mike

Marmotjr

I recently picked up a 72 (?) piece set of Yonico's. So far I'm pleased with their performance. Yes, they fall into the budget category, but here's my thinking: I have a full set of bits, so when I need that weird shape I normally wouldn't have, I have it. When the commonly used bits break/wear out, or I just need to get a better one, I can order the higher end ones specifically. Like a flush trim bit, once I determine I need a better one, I will have no problem dropping the cash for a good one. But I'm going to be very hesitant to buy a high end multi faceted Ogee round over, as I will rarely use it, but I'll be glad I have one on hand when I do need one.

One slight downside to the Yonico's, the "stem" of the bits are a bit short, so getting them to protrude up from a thick router table surface might be an issue. But in the router itself, I have had no problems.

jttheclockman

I recently picked up a 72 (?) piece set of Yonico's. So far I'm pleased with their performance. Yes, they fall into the budget category, but here's my thinking: I have a full set of bits, so when I need that weird shape I normally wouldn't have, I have it. When the commonly used bits break/wear out, or I just need to get a better one, I can order the higher end ones specifically. Like a flush trim bit, once I determine I need a better one, I will have no problem dropping the cash for a good one. But I'm going to be very hesitant to buy a high end multi faceted Ogee round over, as I will rarely use it, but I'll be glad I have one on hand when I do need one.

One slight downside to the Yonico's, the "stem" of the bits are a bit short, so getting them to protrude up from a thick router table surface might be an issue. But in the router itself, I have had no problems.

Have to say I have not seen too many 72 piece set of router bits.:) I do not know the company you mentioned. I hope they are carbide. Now I do not know how much they cost but if you let me make a suggestion and I mean this in a safety way. Sometimes inexpensive is not always the safe way to go. Check each bit for the weld if they are carbide plated. Some maybe solid carbide so they will not be affected. But I have seen table saw blades as well as router bits where the weld of the carbide is corroded or very poor and the piece lets go. I have been on sites where this has been reported. Also you mention the shaft is short for a router table, make sure you do not cheat the bit too far in order to make it work in a router table. The speed at which these bits spin is deadly and a collet on a router is designed to grab a full length bit.

Might be a good place to also put this safety tip in. When putting a router bit in a router do not bottom the bit in the collet. Each bit has a round shoulder under the cutter and if you clamp down on this in the collet all that device is holding is a small portion of that bit and hit a hard spot or take too large of a bite and it could send that bit for a deadly ride. Pull up on the bit at least 1/4" to get off that spot. Might as well also state use the proper size shaft bit for the work being done. The 1/2" shaft bits are a better choice for less vibration and for better cutting action. 1/4" shaft bits are fine for that delicate trim work. Work safe and have fun. :)

Last edited:

WalkOn

Hey John,

I watched this YouTube video Router Bits, Jim Heavy - Bing video
and I know the speaker would agree with you on the points you just mentioned in your post, he emphasized these as well.

The video is kinda long, about an hour, but I did learn a fair amount watching it and thought others might be interested, as well.

Kev

Marmotjr

Have to say I have not seen too many 72 piece set of router bits.:) I do not know the company you mentioned. I hope they are carbide. Now I do not know how much they cost but if you let me make a suggestion and I mean this in a safety way. Sometimes inexpensive is not always the safe way to go. Check each bit for the weld if they are carbide plated. Some maybe solid carbide so they will not be affected. But I have seen table saw blades as well as router bits where the weld of the carbide is corroded or very poor and the piece lets go. I have been on sites where this has been reported.

So far, they all seem to be well made. Of course, the paint job the put on might be to cover the crappy welds, but I don't think so. They seem to have a full line of semi premium bits too, so I'm hoping they are of a good quality.

If you're curious: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KZM2Z6A/

Also you mention the shaft is short for a router table, make sure you do not cheat the bit too far in order to make it work in a router table. The speed at which these bits spin is deadly and a collet on a router is designed to grab a full length bit.

Never. I like my body parts where they are.

Might be a good place to also put this safety tip in. When putting a router bit in a router do not bottom the bit in the collet. Each bit has a round shoulder under the cutter and if you clamp down on this in the collet all that device is holding is a small portion of that bit and hit a hard spot or take too large of a bite and it could send that bit for a deadly ride. Pull up on the bit at least 1/4" to get off that spot. Might as well also state use the proper size shaft bit for the work being done. The 1/2" shaft bits are a better choice for less vibration and for better cutting action. 1/4" shaft bits are fine for that delicate trim work. Work safe and have fun. :)

That's a very good tip. But with this set, not a concern. In the router they seat just about perfect for handheld usage.

leehljp

Member Liaison

That's a very good tip. But with this set, not a concern. In the router they seat just about perfect for handheld usage.

A handy tip is to buy a set of O-rings about 3/8" or 7/16" and place them over the shaft of the 1/2 bits so that they seat without bottoming out. Same with 1/4 inch. Very helpful. Replace the O-rings about every 2 to 3 years or sooner if used often.

jttheclockman

I would be very worried by the rating and reviews I read on those. The very first low score one I read commented about the short shank. The thing they have going is they are 1/2"

Listen just practice safety with them and if you see you are using a particular bit a lot step up to a better quality and you will be happy. Good luck.

Top Bottom