Rounding off tool edges

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Woodchipper

I was looking at another thread on tool rests. One thing mentioned was rounding off the edges of the turning tool. I just finished two pen blanks and ran into this with the Nova tool rest. I did take my generic tool and polish the top of the rest- round stock, but still get the catch when moving the tool on the rest. Your help is most appreciated.
FWIW, I have two bench grinders, slow and regular speeds, and a good set of files.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

duncsuss

First question has to be: What tools do you use?

A spindle roughing gouge has no sharp corners, nor do spindle gouges and bowl gouges.

I use a skew, and have made certain that the square corners are not sharp simply by rubbing them round with sandpaper (though you could use a file or even run them across your bench grinder wheel).

There could be a divot in the rod of your toolrest -- in which case rubbing along the length with increasing grits of sandpaper might clean it up.

Woodchipper

The only tools that I have with a round shape is the spindle gouge and two roughing gouges. Two skews and round nose gouge are the flat shapes with very sharp corners. I use the round nose gouge for pen turning. I'm more comfortable with it than the spindle gouge.
I've checked the tool rest and find it to be smooth with no divots, although I did make a lot of them when I play golf. I polished the tool rest as mentioned.

Last edited:

duncsuss

Two skews and round nose gouge are the flat shapes with very sharp corners. I use the round nose gouge for pen turning. I'm more comfortable with it than the spindle gouge.
Then definitely break those sharp corners -- I'd just lay a piece of sandpaper (or the black wet-or-dry carborundum paper that auto shops use) on a hard flat surface. Set the tool on a corner and rub away till it feels smooth, then do the next corner.

Top Bottom