Rikon Band Saw - International Association of Penturners
     International Association of Penturners
Pens for Service Members

Support The IAP

Go Back   International Association of Penturners > Community Forums > Shops, Jigs, Fixtures & Tools
  Forgot Password
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Shops, Jigs, Fixtures & Tools Show off and discuss your workshop and everything in it.

Logged on members can hide ads!

Welcome to penturners.org!

You've found the home of The International Association of Penturners. You are currently viewing our site as a guest, which gives you limited access to view discussions, photos, and library articles.

Consider joining our community today. You'll have full access to all of our content, be able to enter our contests, find local chapters near you, and post your questions and share your experience with our members all over the world.

Membership is completely free!!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-18-2017, 08:40 AM   #1 (permalink)

Photos: 3

Default Rikon Band Saw

I know this has been discussed in the past, but times change so I wanted to get current opinions. I'm in the market for a tabletop band saw and looking at the 10" (10-305) on sale at Woodcraft this month.
Is that a good option? Or should I consider something else? I would like to use it to cut blanks to size, and to get into segmenting. I'm very limited on space and any other options would need to be in the ballpark of $200. I'm also open to other types of saws.
ghansen4 is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 09-18-2017, 08:50 AM   #2 (permalink)

Photos: 77

FOLLOWING. I'm curious also.
Old 09-18-2017, 09:25 AM   #3 (permalink)

Photos: 0

Default Band saw

I use a Ryobi 7 1/4 Miter saw for cutting blanks to size. I purchased at Home Depot for about $80. Lots of low priced blades available (I use a plywood Blade) Spent some time making sure that everything was square. I now cut blanks about 1/16 inch long. Really reduces the time finishing the ends which I do on the lathe
monty8867 is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Advertisement
Old 09-18-2017, 04:55 PM   #4 (permalink)

Photos: 1

I have it and, IMHO, it is good. However, I have found it best to cut blanks on the table saw. Also, got this from an experienced woodworker. Just need to be very careful when cutting the 3/4 x 3/4 widths. Make use of the push stick. To be fair, I had trouble with the original blade drifting at an angle in the cut. I have a new blade with 4 tpi and will be trying it tomorrow.
Old 09-18-2017, 05:26 PM   #5 (permalink)

Personally I think for trimming blank lengths and making segmented blanks a table saw and a GOOD sled would be a better investment. For pen work a small table top saw is more than enough. If the grooves on the table and the saw blade are square, a sled will take care of almost everything else. Find some You Tube videos about segmenting with a sled.

I would suggest looking on Craigslist, but in Texas unless you are in the DFW, San Antonio, or Houston area you will have to wait to stumble on a reasonably priced table saw.
dogcatcher is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 09-18-2017, 07:43 PM   #6 (permalink)

Photos: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogcatcher View Post
Personally I think for trimming blank lengths and making segmented blanks a table saw and a GOOD sled would be a better investment. For pen work a small table top saw is more than enough. If the grooves on the table and the saw blade are square, a sled will take care of almost everything else. Find some You Tube videos about segmenting with a sled.

I would suggest looking on Craigslist, but in Texas unless you are in the DFW, San Antonio, or Houston area you will have to wait to stumble on a reasonably priced table saw.
When you say a small table saw, do you mean a 10"? I assume you don't mean the 4" minis?
ghansen4 is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 09-18-2017, 08:45 PM   #7 (permalink)

Photos: 324

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghansen4 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogcatcher View Post

When you say a small table saw, do you mean a 10"? I assume you don't mean the 4" minis?
I have a 4" mini and I love it. But, it is for small detailed cuts, not 1" blanks - my 30 yr old Craftsman does that.
Wadsworth, Ohio, OH 44281
Like the Midwest Penturners Gathering Facebook Page for all current information!
mark james is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 09-18-2017, 09:28 PM   #8 (permalink)

8" would be fine, most of them are old iron, I now realize your are in San Antonio, there are some decent saws on Craigslist. You do not need the table side extensions, they can be removed and saved for when you ever need them. Without seeing them in person, there are 2 that look like they would be good candidates for a segment/crosscut sled.
dogcatcher is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 09-18-2017, 09:51 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobS View Post
FOLLOWING. I'm curious also.
Same here. I'd like a small powerful quality bandsaw just to cut 2"x2" or 3"x3" x 12" into small squares for bottle stoppers or handles. My current equipment is a Stanley handsaw powered by Armstrong...ME! Time to upgrade.

Current set up:
a pair of Jet 1015VS
Jet 1221VS
MidAmericaPool Taig professional pool cue repair lathe....that somehow gets involved with pen blanks.
WriteON is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 09-23-2017, 07:00 PM   #10 (permalink)

I have the craftsman version if he Rikon and love it made a cut off sled for it. That said I also have a 17" Grizzley band saw and a 10" delta table saw and a 12" miter saw but the rikon 10" is a very good saw for its size.
2 Saw is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Related Content
Logged on members can hide ads