Rikon 70-220 VSR

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

taz442

I'm in the market for a new lathe as my current bed is too short. While on another thread the discussion included the Rikon 70-220 vsr (which is currently on sale at Woodcraft). Looking at the specs for the Rikon the area of concern for me are the speed ranges. It looks like I would have to switch belt pulleys going from turning to sanding. I know it's easy to change pulleys, but if I buy a vs lathe I was hoping to just use the knob.

The ranges are as follows:

Low: 250 - 750
Mid: 550 - 1650
High: 1300 - 3850

Here are the Jet specs:

Low: 60-900
Mid: 110-1800
High: 220-3600

My current lathe (vs) on the middle pulleys runs 300 - 3500

I usually turn at 2800-3000 and sand at 300-500 to keep the heat down. I guess for now I'll stay with my current lathe until a viable option, or a great deal comes along for the Jet.

I guess I do not have a question. Just an observation as the Rikon is suggested as an option on numerous occasions.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
I wasn't thrilled with having to change pulleys when sanding on the Rikon, but it only takes me 20-25 seconds (I timed it a couple times) and saves $170 on the sale price of the Jet. I was set on the Jet for this very reason but my wallet put up too hard of a fight. I'm getting the stand today and combined total is still less than I would've spent had I bought the Jet, so I'll be fine with changing pulleys every time I sand. I may not like it, but I'm fine with it. I certainly wouldn't let it deter you from getting a great deal on a very nice small lathe.

Is a bed extension made for your lathe?

thewishman

I turn almost as fast as my lathe Delta 46-460) will go (setting 8 of possible 9) and sand at a slower speed (setting 3 of 9) without changing the belt from the fastest pulley set.

If I'm drilling more than one or two blanks, I'll switch to the middle pulley set.

Changing belts is a quick thing, but turning the knob is even easier.

Dan Masshardt

Didn't realize that Little bit of a bummer. I'd probably just leave it on the
Mid range. You can turn fine at 1650. Material just comes off a little slower.

Or go high range and sand faster than ideal.

Anything to avoid that 20 second belt change. Lol.

budnder

I'm not in the market yet, but have already kinda figured out that I wouldn't probably put any money in fixing my Harbor Freight when it goes down. So have been watching these threads with interest so I'm ready to pull the trigger when the old HF gives up the ghost. Glad to see somebody bring up the Delta because I thought it that was perhaps the con-census choice. So for me, right now, it'd be the Rikon or the Delta, and I think I'd lean Delta.

taz442

I wasn't thrilled with having to change pulleys when sanding on the Rikon, but it only takes me 20-25 seconds (I timed it a couple times) and saves $170 on the sale price of the Jet. I was set on the Jet for this very reason but my wallet put up too hard of a fight. I'm getting the stand today and combined total is still less than I would've spent had I bought the Jet, so I'll be fine with changing pulleys every time I sand. I may not like it, but I'm fine with it. I certainly wouldn't let it deter you from getting a great deal on a very nice small lathe.

Is a bed extension made for your lathe?

Yes, there was a bed extension made for my lathe (Nova Mercury), but I have been unable to find one. They are a little on the old side. I ended up buying three of them for $80. Two worked fine and the third has bad bearings and will become a parts machine. The lathe is only 11" between centers. Fine for TBC or using a mandrel.

Top Bottom