Rikon 4" x 36" Belt & Disc Sander, Model #50-112

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

hornet406

Does anyone have one of these sanders. I an interested in purchasing on as they are on sale at woodcraft but they don't appear to be many favorable reviews. Might there be another in the close price range 100 - 150 that someone could suggest??

Thanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

hanau

Looking for the same info too.
I purchased the Combination 4" x 36" Belt/6" Disc Sander from harbor freight and the 3/4 HP motor is not strong enough.
I can stop the belt by putting a little pressure down on the wood when sanding.

Looking at the Rikon it has a 1/2 HP motor. I would think it would stop just as easy.

walshjp17

I have one but not as pleased with as I thought I would be. The platform for the disk sander WILL NOT get true and level. The adjustment knobs are not strong enough to hold the platform in place once I have leveled it in both planes. I stopped using it to true up blanks and am now using a bit of sandpaper glues to a dowel and mounted in a chuck on my lathe.

That said, the belt portion works alright but I have trouble raising and lowering the table. Just use it now for cleaning up the bottoms of items I've turned.

I would not buy this one again.

hornet406

Thanks for the input. That basically sums up the handful of reviews on the woodcraft site. Its basically crap.

hanau

I did order a couple of belts from klingspor to see if that helps any.
Thinking that using the cheap Harbor freight belt may be part of the problem, Trying a better quality belt to see if it makes a difference.

Wont be till next week before i will know.

Top Bottom