Rikon 14” band saw fence out of square

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Gwatson50

Can't find the manual and I don't know whether it would help. I see a lot of different knobs and Allen wrench bolts but thought I would see if anyone knows what I should do before I roll this thing to the curb???

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

Can't find the manual and I don't know whether it would help. I see a lot of different knobs and Allen wrench bolts but thought I would see if anyone knows what I should do before I roll this thing to the curb???

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

Not sure what fence you have but should be simple to fix or set up. Here is a utube video that may help that resaw bar maybe what is throwing you. That is a pivot point resaw bar and is used when you want to resaw freehand. You draw a line down the top of the wood when you stand on edge and follow that when cutting. A fence like that is tough to set up to be parallel with your blade. You need to tune your saw and then set the fence to the blade for dead on accuracy and this will take up for the drift in a blade. Every blade has it and every blade is different. Many people just set fence 90 degrees to table top. Yes it will cut but not at optimum performance. I like and use a fence that has no front or bak rail and is held in place with magnets. I set the fence to the blade. It is a magna Carter fence. Anyway good luck and here is the video.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=tU53bAAwNmE

greenmtnguy

Local Chapter Leader
Here you go.

Attachments

• Rikon fence 001.jpg
    Rikon fence 001.jpg
    190.6 KB · Views: 184

jttheclockman

I just do not like aligning a fence to the table top. You do not do this with a tablesaw why do it with a bandsaw. I suggest take a scrap piece of wood and draw a straight line down the center. Not start to cut the line dead on free hand slowly. Observe how you have to canter the wood to keep it cutting straight. Then without moving the wood shut the saw off. This board now represents the drift or set in the teeth, in that particular blade and I would now set the fence to the side of that wood. Now your fence is locked in to that blade. Now if your blade happens to run 90 degree to the table top then good for you. The saw is well tuned.

As I said the blade will cut no matter if you do this or not but what you will see is more pronounced blade marks on the edges of the wood. This comes in more-so when resawing because now you need to plane or sand those blade marks out and the deeper they are the more material you waste. When you see people resawing paper thin veneers their saws are very well tuned and that includes a fence. If cutting pen blanks then just set up as described in instruction sheet. Good luck and happy sawing.

greenmtnguy

Local Chapter Leader
This method is easy to check. After adjusting, mark a straight line on a board parallel to the edge of a board and saw in one end slightly hitting the line. Flip the board end for end, keeping the same edge on the fence. If you hit the line on the other end, you are square to the blade.

Top Bottom