Replacements for 10.5 & 12.5 mm bits?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Russknan

I have been doing a fair number of Jr. Gent II pens lately. However, I've been pretty dissatisfied with the drill bits I've been using. Forget which major vendor I got them from (probably CSUSA). Anyway, they are "conventional" bits - shaped as for metal drilling. Perhaps there is a more accurate way of describing them. They're not particularly sharp or straight, and make drilling blanks more of an adventure than I would like. The 12.5 is particularly objectionable as, more often than not, the hole is not quite large enough to easily fit the tube. So, out comes the Dremel with a small sanding drum . . . I would prefer to use brad point bits. I've considered using a 1/2" brad point in place of the 12.5, but haven't played with it yet on a scrap blank to see whether the hole would be too big. I bet that others have, long ago, solved this. Any recommendations? Russ

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

nativewooder

A German company has come out with two different "Colt" brand bits and I bought some of the brad points bits and they are the best I have ever used. They may be hard to find and a bit pricey but if you want something good, what the heck!

Russknan

Thanks, all. I KNEW I could count on you!
Off to buy some drill bits . . . after finding a permanent place for the "drill bit cheat tool" info. Russ

raar25

The same answer I usually give AMAZON! I bought a 135 deg cobalt bit from amazon (not cheap) and it drills beautiful holes and does not wonder when I start drilling. The 135 deg split point also makes it good for metal as well.

Top Bottom