Replaced Bearings - Still Running Hot - International Association of Penturners
     International Association of Penturners
Pens for Service Members

Support The IAP

Go Back   International Association of Penturners > Community Forums > Shops, Jigs, Fixtures & Tools
  Forgot Password
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Shops, Jigs, Fixtures & Tools Show off and discuss your workshop and everything in it.

Logged on members can hide ads!

Welcome to penturners.org!

You've found the home of The International Association of Penturners. You are currently viewing our site as a guest, which gives you limited access to view discussions, photos, and library articles.

Consider joining our community today. You'll have full access to all of our content, be able to enter our contests, find local chapters near you, and post your questions and share your experience with our members all over the world.

Membership is completely free!!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-05-2017, 10:48 AM   #1 (permalink)

Photos: 0

Default Replaced Bearings - Still Running Hot

UGH! I replaced the bearings in my lathe - ordered them from Delta directly. When I went to put the bearing in nearest the tailstock it was extremely tough to get it into the opening. Also it doesn't seem like the hole is cut perfectly for them so they don't seat in perfectly flush. I didn't notice if the prior bearing set had that problem or not. But the end result is that things are still running hot off the rod nearest this set of bearings. I know it's supposed to be a snug fit for these bearings but I had to beat them in with a dead blow hammer pretty hard. They still look fine and in tact with no visible damage but I have to believe that this is why they cause heat - the fit is just too tight. Any thoughts - I don't know what else to do to help this heat issue go away. I'm calling Delta today too.

Sent from my iPad using Penturners.org mobile app
candy1land is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 09-05-2017, 11:39 AM   #2 (permalink)

How hot is your "hot"????

Your hand is not a good measure for bearings.

Bearings can be running just fine at 150 degrees F. Your hand will not like that temperature.
Old 09-05-2017, 12:31 PM   #3 (permalink)

That stinks. Yes, the first question they will ask is, how hot?
Try to get a temp, a non contact thermometer is about $20 from HF.
A little late but its best to press them in with a big clamp. Striking them would be a last option but might be okay if you only made contact with the race. Using a socket or pipe. Also it can help to put them in the refrigerator overnight and heat the housing before installing.
FWIW, my example of the hand test comes from an old-school auto mechanics trick for checking wheel bearings.
These may have a much higher operating temp.
PatrickR is online now   Reply With Quote Top
Advertisement
Old 09-05-2017, 01:42 PM   #4 (permalink)

Photos: 56

When seating bearings, do not press (pound) on the bearing itself. Only press on the outer ring of the bearing. A socket that just fits into the bearing recess makes a good bearing seating tool. Make sure the bearing recess is squeaky clean with no debris, dried oil, or crud.

Hope this helps.

How do we change the world? ARK --- one Act of Random Kindness at a time -- Evan Almighty
randyrls is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 09-05-2017, 02:05 PM   #5 (permalink)

Patrick, does that mean when you touch the bearing and scream, "$%&^*, that is hot!" you have a problem?
I pressed a couple of bearings in my lifetime. A socket that is the size of the outer ring and a big C-clamp tightened very slowly.
Old 09-05-2017, 03:06 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodchipper View Post
Patrick, does that mean when you touch the bearing and scream, "$%&^*, that is hot!" you have a problem?
I pressed a couple of bearings in my lifetime. A socket that is the size of the outer ring and a big C-clamp tightened very slowly.

Exactly! Scream it out and you need to fix it NOW, only mutter it and you're good for a few more miles.
Old 09-05-2017, 06:19 PM   #7 (permalink)

Well crap! The videos I saw they used a dead blow hammer to pound them in. I used a scrap piece of wood over it because I didn't want to hit the bearings directly. They did not go in easy that's for sure. I'll try to get a thermometer soon. Hot to me is - I don't want to leave my hand on it for more than a second. The motor runs hot too which is my bigger concern - not the bearings - they are cheap to replace.

Sent from my iPad using Penturners.org mobile app
candy1land is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 09-05-2017, 06:45 PM   #8 (permalink)

I am no expert in lathes but happen to be one in rotating equipment. First, you have likely damaged the new bearings. They may last only a short while or a year or two but they will fail prematurely. Realize that any bearing that fits that tight will fail prematurely if it is seeing to much heat.

Question, is your lathe set up for 120 or 240 volts.

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app
Be kind &
Leave The Rest to God
MRDucks2 is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 09-05-2017, 07:16 PM   #9 (permalink)

Put the old bearing back in and see if the fit is the same with it when it is mounted.

Use you micrometer to see if the bearing dimensions are exactly the same on the old and new bearing.

When I'm pressing a bearing in I like to use a little anti seize compound (don't know if it makes any difference from without it since I always use it).
frank123 is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 09-05-2017, 07:49 PM   #10 (permalink)

Your motor should have internal thermal protection. Check the manual or find one online. If it gets too hot it would shut down.
Related Content
Logged on members can hide ads