Removing Lower Pulleys from 1221 Motor Shaft

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

TonyL

Hi Folks:

I called Jet (twice); they were very helpful, but I didn't like their answer ( dropping the motor).
Somehow the lower pulleys shimmied their way about 1/4 inch to the left of the motor shaft. I removed the two set screws, checked to see that there were no others in the holes, but I cannot move the pullys in toward the motor or out off of the motor shaft. They want me to drop the motor and use a bearing/pulley puller. For someone who only turns pens (light use of my lathes), I wonder how the pulleys moved in the first place.

Well any help you folks have to get the pulley off or flush with the end of the motor shaft would be greatly appreciated. I tried the dead-blow hammer and block of wood thing and it didn't budge.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

brownsfn2

If you need to remove a pulley using a gear/pulley/bearing puller is probably the best way. It would remove it straight off the shaft as opposed to an angle which might be why it is stuck. I am not sure what you mean by drop the motor unless they mean to un-tension the belt? I don't have a 1221 so I am not sure.

If they mean to remove the motor from the mount to get it off you should be ok there. As long as you remount it level and make sure you get the tension right on the belt. It is pretty easy to align the pulleys when you remount on the shaft. Just need a good straight edge.

I hope that is helpful. I have realigned the pulleys on my Delta before to eliminate some vibration. It is pretty easy to do once you get into it. I did not think I ever needed a pulley for mine until I used one. Makes it so much easier.

Good luck.

Terredax

Banned
Was the pulley spinning on the motor shaft? If the motor shaft was spinning inside the pulley, could it have welded together? Could it have cut grooves in either or both, and it's stuck on the grooves?
Measuring 0 degrees and 180 degrees on the pulley to the motor, should tell if the pulley is at an angle.

TonyL

Hey folks. Thank you.

Jet meant removing the motor.

No, it was not spinning. The pulleys are turning freely independently from the motor shaft since removing the set screws.

The belt is removed.

My BIL who repairs tools told me to heat the pulleys. I will try tonight.

Thank you all again!

randyrls

Hey folks. Thank you.

No, it was not spinning. The pulleys are turning freely independently from the motor shaft since removing the set screws.

Tony; It is likely that the set screws "slipped" on the shaft and raised a burr on the shaft or the pulley.If the heat trick doesn't work, you really need a puller to get it off. Use caution, it is possible to break a pulley with too much force DAMHIKT!

Harbor Freight to the rescue

Tony,

I know you have a HF nearby.

A Pulley/gear puller in the appropriate size is both inexpensive and available.

Make sure you know your pulley outside diameter (OD).

Best of luck.

Charlie

TonyL

Thanks folks. I heated the pulleys and nothing happened. I need to pick up a pulley remover. I am learning a lot (and glad I have more than one lathe :)).

Thanks to all again. I am in very good hands.

TonyL

Thank you. I am about 1/2 mile from Advance Auto. The had a power steering puller that fits it perfectly. They even lend it to you for free. It is about 3/4th off, then I had to return to work.

TonyL

Ok. To close this chapter, I removed the pully, but the jaws of the puller damaged the largest ring of the pulley (very slightly considering the amount of force I had to use). There were some build up on the flat of the shaft which came off with 0000 SW and wd 40 and burrs the inside of the pulleys near the set screw holes (removed with 150 grit SP on a mandrel). It is really a sloppy machining. However, I paid $700 for the lathe, not a few thousand for a Robust - so I got what I got. I will call Jet tomorrow. The will either give me a new pulley or I will buy one. Thanks for the ideas and I found a place to borrow tools for free!

More4dan

Ok. To close this chapter, I removed the pully, but the jaws of the puller damaged the largest ring of the pulley (very slightly considering the amount of force I had to use). There were some build up on the flat of the shaft which came off with 0000 SW and wd 40 and burrs the inside of the pulleys near the set screw holes (removed with 150 grit SP on a mandrel). It is really a sloppy machining. However, I paid $700 for the lathe, not a few thousand for a Robust - so I got what I got. I will call Jet tomorrow. The will either give me a new pulley or I will buy one. Thanks for the ideas and I found a place to borrow tools for free!

If the pulley would have slipped on any motor you would have likely had the same issue regardless of brand. I think I will go check the tightness of the set screws on mine. Glad you were able to to get the thing off. Let us know if Jet comes through with new pulleys.

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

randyrls

Tony; Just a note, On machinery it was common to use a two set screws. One on top of the other. The 2nd locked the first one and prevented it from loosening. Kind of like double nutting a threaded shaft.

TonyL

Thank you. That was the firs thing that Jet advised I check. There were one screw in each hole. Thank you though.

TonyL

It was a month over the warranty, but they are going to honor it and send me a pulley. They asked me if there was anything else that I needed, but it is not in me to ask for more than what was broke (and I did tell them that I broke it trying to remove it). I feel that I was very well served. To be honest, either way, they tried which says a lot.

I also called Rikon to see if the 1 to 5/8 tool post adapter would be compatible with my lathe 70-1218 and they were equally helpful. Thanks for all the help folks.

Top Bottom