Recommendations for non-digital vernier caliper

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Fish30114

So I have been searching for a good quality non-digital vernier caliper-6 inch, I have not had any luck finding a decent one in my price tolerance of say $30-$45...the cheapest Mitutoyo I found was $76 and only metric--oh yeah I want imperial--inch--measurements on it....hate the fake wheel model ones I want a real thumbwheel on it.

All input is welcome!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dusty

I have a stainless steel one from Harbor Freight that I have been using for four or five years and I am very happy with it. Haven't encountered any problems at all.

Ed McDonnell

You could look at this one. Although it is a little less than you want to pay, shipping will get you in the zone.

https://littlemachineshop.com/products/product_view.php?ProductID=3704&category=

You could call them and talk to them about it. See if it will meet your needs.

Honestly, low price and good quality don't generally go together in measuring devices. You can maybe hope for just good enough quality at your price point. But we're talking about pens , not orbital space capsules. It's not that demanding of an application.

Ed

Ed McDonnell

You never can't use it because you don't have a spare battery.

In some applications the dial is a whole lot easier to see than a digital display.

A really high quality dial caliper is like a fine watch. Will a rolex tell time better than a quartz timex? No, but it can probably survive a much harsher environment and abuse and keep working. Precision gears can take a lot more abuse than cheap linear encoders in digital calipers.

Ed

You've roused my curiosity is there an advantage to non-digital calipers other than the aesthetic?

Last edited:

Woodchipper

One thing would be consistency in measuring. Any caliper is useless if that is an issue. I got mine from Cabela's. I use it for turning and reloading.

Ed McDonnell

I'm way past the point where my eyes and brain are adequate for using a vernier. :biggrin: It's only dial or digital for me these days.

Ed

TonyL

I bought a 75-$100 digital one from Shars or Fowler: Euro Cal something or other. It is alright. It smoother that the others, but can't say I was wowed by it.

frank123

I have a stainless steel one from Harbor Freight that I have been using for four or five years and I am very happy with it. Haven't encountered any problems at all.

I have one of those too, at least a decade old and still as accurate as my expensive ones in spite of extensive and rough use of it.

Don't know how good the quality of the newer ones are -better, worse, or the same- but I have a great deal of respect for my old one.

smik

Further reading I didnt realize Fowler now imported and reviews show their products hit or miss.

bmachin

Amazon has some true vernier calipers although their cheaper ones don't look so hot. They do have some Mitutoyos. I think the cheapest that I saw was $70 but I didn't look at it too closely.

You might want to check out local antique malls. I know that the one here has a guy who sells old machinists tools (mostly Starrett) at ebay type prices. Ebay might be another source.

As a matter of fact, here is one I just found 99.5% positive feedback seller, New Mitutoyo, buy it now 34.99:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Mituto...=item33ef17c9c3:g:LXgAAOSwnEtbREYd:rk:19:pf:0

Probably lots more; just the first one I came up with; never bought from the guy.

FWIW,
Bill

MiteyF

Tony, true verniers are bulletproof. If you know how to read them, they never go out of cal, are incredibly accurate, and should last a lifetime of abuse.

TonyL

It stinks without contacts/glasses. I started to buy them then stopped; I just like gadgets. Thank you.

Fish30114

Tony, true verniers are bulletproof. If you know how to read them, they never go out of cal, are incredibly accurate, and should last a lifetime of abuse.

I agree with MiteyF, plus they are more simple to transfer measurements to wood pieces I am working on for me. You can get a gimpy one from HD to try em out....

TonyL

If you like the ebay one, please let me know. I had it in my cart, them chickened-out. I already have 2 calipers (had 3, but gave it away to a fellow turner). I am sure most have a few. Thanks!

Top Bottom