Quiet Dust collection

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JPW062

My shop is also the maintenance department for my apartments. It is located in the garage/basement of a building. I have a 1HP Woodriver. Looks like this, but not this brand. Problem is I have tenants above. I don't think it is manufactured under that brand anymore. It is not quiet, as is to be expected from that type dust collector.
It has not been a problem previously because most of my operations are short bursts for furniture making. I have never had a complaint. I also work with cherry, black walnut, and dark roasted maple almost exclusively for furniture, so not worried about breathing a small amount(do use cartridge respirator).
Turning i need to run the DC for long periods, I am working with more exotics with high silica, allergens, plywoods, epoxy glue-ups, etc. I really need to minimize what I am breathing without making a lot of noise.

The quietest DCs I have used are Festool at I believe 62 DBs. I don't have one, but a midi is on the short list and I can go ahead and get it(I currently borrow one). Problem is, only 137 CFM. It does have better filtration than the other DCs I have used, so what it gets it will get. Lots of other DCs allow air to flow around the filters to a greater degree in my experience. My experience with Festool products is also that they come a lot closer to the published stats than the other tool lines I have used.
I'm not at all sure 137 CFM is going to pull much from a lathe set-up though. It seems the large DCs don't do all that well.
I can build a closet like containment.

Since a large part of my concern is airborne small allergens and non-bio materials, I was thinking an air cleaner might be my best bet. They don't seem to be as loud either.

Any thoghts as to a DC that would beat the Festool vac in volume without being much more expensive/large OR other options.

Last edited:

Charlie_W

One way to go is to get a dust collector either with or add a cartridge type micron filter to the top with a plastic chip/dust bag below. This should catch a lot more than the small type you show in the link.

A friend of mine placed his dust collector in a storage room/closet next to his shop. Two walls of this closet are peg board which allows air to circulate back into the shop. Covering the walls and ceiling with moving blankets helps with sound control. Make sure any blankets on the pegboard walls are hung away from the wall and there is space between and around the blankets for air flow.

Good luck...hope this helps.

JPW062

I like the pegboard and blanket idea. At this point a larger fixed placement DC is not under consideration.

Top Bottom