Quick Disc

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Charlie_W

While finish sanding some little bowls with a small foot, I needed a smaller disc sander to clean up where I had a nub on the bottom. My 1" sanding disc was too large so I came up with a quick disc,
This is a Morse taper sanding disc but I didn't take the time to turn the Morse taper. I used a block plane instead with a piece of pine. After fitting and refining the taper, I tapped the jig in the headstock and turned the part near the headstock, sawed it off to length and trued up the end with a skew. I left it slightly crowned and added some double sided tape and sandpaper. It worked like a charm and was quick to make.

Attachments

• IMG_9613.jpg
    IMG_9613.jpg
    307.6 KB · Views: 196
  • IMG_9614.jpg
    IMG_9614.jpg
    155.6 KB · Views: 188
  • IMG_9617.jpg
    IMG_9617.jpg
    144.7 KB · Views: 193

eharri446

Over time, I have had several mandrel rods bend on me. At first I was replacing the entire mandrel, so now I have probably 4 or 5 extra MT2 tenons which I can use for any uses like that.

They are drilled and tapped for a M5.4 tap, not sure of the thread, so they could be drilled out to allow a 1/4 X 20 tap.

JimB

Nice job. I do something similar to make a mandrel when I make rings. A piece of scrap wood with a taper.

I have a small sanding disc for pens that I made but I tapped it so it screws onto the headstock.

Top Bottom