Question on cutting plexiglas

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dale Allen

I need to cut a slot in multiple pieces of acrylic sheet(plexiglas).
The cut will be half way through a 1" wide strip about 8 inches long, 1/2" deep on the 1" direction.
I was thinking of stacking about 3 or 4 of them and putting a thin piece of plywood on top, then run them on edge through the table saw backed up against the fence of my cutoff sled.
Am I asking for trouble?
My main concern is that the cut will not be a through cut and the top of the blade may melt the plastic.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Heat is definitely an issue. When I do plexi, I always use a blade with as many teeth as I have - like a plywood blade. If I understand what you intend to do, it sounds like a short cut. Thinking it might be better to use a hand saw.

PeetyInMich

Its a very short cut so I don't think heat will be an issue. Many teeth and a very low hook angle (like 0° or even -5°). I cut 1/2" plexi at work with a 10" 80 tooth carbide -5° Dewalt blade and it cuts like butter. An aggressive blade (ripping) would probably cause you some issues.

randyrls

Dale; I would stack several (3-5?) in a bundle and clamp them between two pieces of plywood with screws. Clamp the bundle to the fence to keep your pinkies clear and I would also wear a face shield in case of pieces of flying plastic.

I tend to be overly cautious the first shot at something I haven't tries before BUT, I have all my fingers and toes.

Dale Allen

Randy, I hear ya. I have most of mine. Short piece of left index is missing so I am now more careful with the TS.
I did stack them but just clamped them to the crosscut fence.
It went very well with a wood piece in front. I used that also for cut line reference.
Thanks all for the advise and warnings.

Dale Allen

BTW, here is what I am working on that I needed to make these cuts.
These plastic display cases are too large for a single cigar but this will work for 4 in each.
I have 2 more of these to finish and another with smaller slots.
The humidor I made for display doesn't show them off as well as this does.

Attachments

• box1.jpg
    box1.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 152
Top Bottom