Question for Byrnes users

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Talltim

I am in the middle of a decision in regards to equipment. I was considering getting a byrnes thickness sander but have about convinced my self to go with the table saw instead. My reasoning is that the table saw seems to be very accurate in cutting thin stock so it seems as if it could accomplish some of the same goal as the thickness sander with other uses as well.

Our goal is to raise our standard in segmenting. For those of you using the saw, what accessories to you find you use the most? What are the best blades to get?

I have an old direct drive craftsman tablesaw that is about 35 years old and was their cheapest version at that time. I have tweaked and fiddled with it where I get decent enough cuts for general work when using my sled but it is not up to real segmenting accuracy. Even with my tweaks it takes a lot of work to get a square cut.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
G'Day Tim.

I have both machines - and am very happy with each. (I lucked out and got them used).

They each have some advantages, and to be honest, for my segmenting, I need/use both extensively.

The highest the table saw blade cutting height is about 15/16" So any pen blank close to 1" thick will need two cuts. And my machine (an older year - newer motors may be different) will stall out with 3/4" hard maple, etc... Yes, I can work around that.

Blades, online will offer replacements, and I have a local shop for sharpening - I prefer the carbides. I can supply all sources if you need.

If you are cutting a 1/2" - 3/4" board, yes, you will be able to cut very thin slices; I have gotten down to about .05" (I'll look for evidence!).

I use quite a few jigs - pictures to follow.

But, the thickness sander is crucial for getting equal dimensions for thin stock.

It may be beneficial for you to try to think what type of segmenting you are interested in. That may help you decision.

And I am not giving a commercial for the Byrnes machines - I love mine, but other brands may be just as good.

So, some pictures follow, and ask any questions that arise.

Attachments

• IMG_3518.jpg
    IMG_3518.jpg
    204.1 KB · Views: 190
  • IMG_3591.jpg
    IMG_3591.jpg
    195.4 KB · Views: 194
  • IMG_3517.jpg
    IMG_3517.jpg
    216.5 KB · Views: 186
  • IMG_0250.jpg
    IMG_0250.jpg
    166.3 KB · Views: 201
  • IMG_1049.jpg
    IMG_1049.jpg
    210.7 KB · Views: 191
  • IMG_0702.jpg
    IMG_0702.jpg
    166.6 KB · Views: 198

Bryguy

I agree with Mark. I too have both tools and use them a lot! I love the quality of the equipment. Both tools are a joy to use. Just remember that because they are small, they are still tools. I lost the end of my finger on the Byrnes table saw!

socdad

I have the thickness sander, love it! I have just started segmenting pepper mills and the Byrnes machine works exactly the way I hoped it would. I don't have the Byrnes table saw, I have a Proxxon that works perfectly for me ...

Talltim

i note that it comes with a 24 tooth carbide blade. Is that the one you use the most? He also offers a 32 tooth carbide and a number of kerf splitting blades.

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
i note that it comes with a 24 tooth carbide blade. Is that the one you use the most? He also offers a 32 tooth carbide and a number of kerf splitting blades.

Yes, I have usually used the 24 Tooth carbide. When I got the machine (very lightly used) there was already a new second blade and several others, non-carbide and smaller than 4". I have used both 4" 24 tooth carbides and have had them resharpened - (about $4.50/each - don't quote me). I have had no need to explore the other blades, but I am hopeful that some, any design will prompt me to do so!!!

Comments: As mrburls indicated - depending on what you think you may want to do, each machine may not be necessary - they are not cheap.

And as Bryguy related, small - yes, but they are still perfectly capably to inflict serious injury without safety concerns. On this issue, I freely state that I am VERY careful as I use it without the typical safety features due to how I use it. This is a statement, not a recommendation. Know your equipment and be safe!

And if you want my totally unsolicited opinion - "accidents" more often happen from those that are overconfident, than those who are underconfident. (e.g. Most Kayaking accidents are from those that feel they can overcome obstacles and are overconfident).

However, accidents are very non-discriminating. Be careful.

Last edited:
Top Bottom