Question About the Use of Transfer Punches

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Randy_

My Harbor Freight transfer punches showed up in the mail yesterday and I got a bit of a surprise. I expected them to have a sharp(90°) shoulder at the tip like a pin punch; but, instead, mine have a beveled shoulder. It seems to me that the bevel might tend to wedge into the pen hardware being removed and make it a more difficult task. Am I worrying about a non-issue or is the design of my punches different than what others are using?? Thanks.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mick

Randy you win a cigar....Speaking of cigars those are the only ones I'd had trouble using the punches with ...It seems I almost always get my punch stuck in the nib of the cigar pens.....lol. I don't think it's the punch.I really thinks its just the degree of the angle inside the nib that lends itself to the punch sticking.

Ron Mc

Randy,
The set of punches I purchased at the Harbor Freight store in Dallas had straight edges. But my set only came with somewhere around 12 punches.

tipusnr

Went to Harbor Freight last night for something else and finally remembered the punches. I forgot everyone was talking about transfer punches and bought a set of pin punches (which do have the 90 degree edges). I looked at the transfer punches but got distracted so don't remember if they had tapered ends.

I'm only mentioning this because I'm wondering if we are comparing apples to apples.

Ron Mc

Bill,
After reading your post I took a look at what my set is officially called. Your right, it's called a pin punch set.
So we may be talking apples to oranges here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom