PVC pipe tool rack

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Drcal

I am building a PVC tool rack for my turning tools. I cannot adhere the pipes to the wall because of where they are positioned. They need to be on the middle of a hard surface. I have seen some built on a wood base (like a 1 x4 or a 2 x 4), but I am not sure how to secure the pipes to the wood base. Someone told me he used Gorilla glue. Is that my best option? Any ideas?
Thanks.
Carmen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dan Masshardt

I'm getting ready to make one too. You could drill holes to set them in or cut the ends I'd the pipe at a 45 and screw them to a backer piece of wood.

Or if you want to spend money, buy PVC end caps and screw them to the board on the bottom.

I'm thinking of making a rack that could be mounted in different locations.

KBs Pensnmore

I find that the tubes tend to fill with chips no matter what i do to stop them.
I used 2 bits of 1/2" ply drilled to the diameter of handles and set them up on a backer board with another bit of ply underneath.
Minimal chip holding edges.:biggrin::biggrin:
Kryn

joefyffe

Passed Away Aug 19, 2018
In Memoriam
Swint Away Tool Rest

Swing Away Tool Rest

How about something like this. I mounted a piece of pipe, welded to a steel flat, drilled and bolted to the end of my lathe. Using 1/2" cold roll rod, cut and bent as I desired, I inserted bottom end into the pipe and placed the top end into a 9/16 (approx.) hole in a block screwed and glued to the bottom of a stool seat. (At least that's what I think the intended use was:eek:) As you can see in the photos, I drilled the necessary size holes for turning tools, centers, custom made die holders, various type chucks, a dowel in the center for my collet chuck, etc. A bad blank glued into the outside for to hang eye protection. Hey, It works and was cheap. The tool holder is free to rotate, and by pushing back on it, you can swing it out of your way, if it get's in your way. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Attachments

• Tool Center.jpg
    Tool Center.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 664
  • Tool Center2.jpg
    Tool Center2.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 1,103
  • Tool Center3.jpg
    Tool Center3.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 580
  • Tool Center4.jpg
    Tool Center4.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 346
  • Tool Center5.jpg
    Tool Center5.jpg
    113.7 KB · Views: 768
  • Tool Center6.jpg
    Tool Center6.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 548
Last edited:

Sylvanite

This is what I made:
ChiselRack1.jpgChiselRack2.jpgChiselRack3.jpg

The rack is stuck (with magnets) to a steel cabinet next to the lathe. I cut the PVC pipe to length and mitered the end so I can see the tips of the chisels. I drilled a hole (just through one side) near the upper end of each pipe and screwed the PVC to a wood backing.

I don't recall what diameter pipe I used, but it's just big enough for the ferrules - which holds the chisels nicely. It's very convenient to have them mounted right next to the lathe.

I hope that helps,
Eric

Tieflyer

I finished mine yesterday, 30 degree angle at the top, open on the bottom and just screwed to a wood frame. Single wood screw did the trick and I used CA to attach the two smaller sections to the front. I have a row on both sides of the frame and it seems to be pretty sturdy

image-2286911829.jpg

healeydays

This is what I made:
View attachment 91132View attachment 91133View attachment 91134

The rack is stuck (with magnets) to a steel cabinet next to the lathe. I cut the PVC pipe to length and mitered the end so I can see the tips of the chisels. I drilled a hole (just through one side) near the upper end of each pipe and screwed the PVC to a wood backing.

I don't recall what diameter pipe I used, but it's just big enough for the ferrules - which holds the chisels nicely. It's very convenient to have them mounted right next to the lathe.

I hope that helps,
Eric

Wow, nice rack. Gonna have to redo mine to be like this one...

joefyffe

Passed Away Aug 19, 2018
In Memoriam
Jeff: As Buggs (bunny, that is!:eek:) might say, be vewy, vewy, kaafull! Sharp edges pointing up?:bulgy-eyes:
I don't know about you, but I can visualize many scars on the forearms, if I would need to be reaching over them for anything.:mad:

I finished mine yesterday, 30 degree angle at the top, open on the bottom and just screwed to a wood frame. Single wood screw did the trick and I used CA to attach the two smaller sections to the front. I have a row on both sides of the frame and it seems to be pretty sturdy

View attachment 91143

Tieflyer

Joe, I hear what you're saying and yes there is a level of carefulness required. Lots of learning curves for me and maybe I'll rethink this at somepoint. Seeing my tool tips is better for me at the moment. Since i used a 2 inch ID pvc there is plenty of wiggle room for my hand to reach into the middle instead of over the tops. And you assume I'm skiled enough to actually have sharp tools! Lol...learning curve!!

Erik831

My set up, something fast and simple.

Attachments

• image-3916963746.jpg
    image-3916963746.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 620
  • image-1467460908.jpg
    image-1467460908.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 557

Dan Masshardt

I made one today. Used the PVC idea. Two screws makes the pipes very secure. Angled bottom lets you see the tips - most of them anyway and keeps dust and shavings from accumulating.

I put a 45 degree cleat on the back so I can move the whole rack to wherever I put a cleat to hold it - wall, lathe, beefy sawhorse (as it is now).

Attachments

• image-3462601672.jpg
    image-3462601672.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 837
  • image-2606517065.jpg
    image-2606517065.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 260
Top Bottom