PSI Router and Table

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Rockytime

Penn State Industries advertises a blank router table complete with router. It is listed at just over $100. Does anyone here have experience with it? I don't want to round over blanks but rather use it for rounding over small boxes and other small things. It appears to have a variable speed motor which makes me think the router may be no more than a Dremel like motor. Any feedback or suggestions are appreciated.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

leehljp

Member Liaison
A number of my woodworking friends buy router bits from MLCS which is a subsidiary for Penn State Industries, or vice versa. That router is also offered at MLCS.

http://www.mlcswoodworking.com/shop...ges/rocky30_router.html#rocky30_plunge_anchor

https://www.pennstateind.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=SEARCH&q=router

MLCS makes some very good quality router bits, but to me the routers are so - so. Not top of the line. I do have one of their larger routers and it is good and powerful, but does not compare to the best routers. For some people and maybe most, that is not a problem. For the rest of us, its Bosch, Milwaukee, DeWalt, Makita, Hitachi, and even Porter Cable are the normal realm of our choices.

As to the table, I am not sure which table comes with it. The router bit is a regular carbide round over. If you don't have any of them, the whole package is a good deal. JUST NOTICED: It doesn't come with a router bit, I don't think. You will need to get a round over. On a 1/4 inch router, 3/8" round over bit is the largest I would go with, unless you had experience.

I have 6 routers (two 1/4 inch and four 1/2 inch) for different uses and over 100 carbide bits, so my experience is overkill for your needs. If you just want to round over blanks and edges for bowls, that is a good start, IMO.

OH, that router is much more than a Dremel. It is a trim router, made for edge trimming, 1/4 inch only. The fact that it is 1/4 inch and not 1/8 of Dremel means that it has Far more power than a Dremel.

Last edited:

dogcatcher

Looks like this one from MLCS. Mini Trim Router Table

I have this one, it works for me. I didn't need a big setup in my New Mexico place. The shop is only 8x12 and the regular table was too big and no place to store it when not in use. Easy to set up and only takes a minute to go from storage to use.

Rockytime

The MLCS router/table is the right one. I'm ordering one. I have a 1/4" HF trim router and I could cobble up a table but that's what it would be, cobbled. Now I am rounding over free-hand. Not the way to do it. Thanks for the information.

Rockytime

Looks like this one from MLCS. Mini Trim Router Table

I have this one, it works for me. I didn't need a big setup in my New Mexico place. The shop is only 8x12 and the regular table was too big and no place to store it when not in use. Easy to set up and only takes a minute to go from storage to use.

I have the same problem. My shop is 8X14. It's a room partitioned off in my garage.

duncsuss

I don't have that PennState router & table, but I do have this one from Sears:

LINK

I'm very happy with it. The router can take both 1/4" and 1/2" bits, and it's a 1-3/4HP motor where the PennState has only 1HP.

It often goes on sale significantly cheaper than the $119 list (right now it's at $99 -- I'm pretty sure I got it in a Black Friday sale for $69.)

jttheclockman

I own 3 router tables but my most used table is one I pick up and bring outside and set it up on my folding work bench. It is an older Black and Decker table. But the key is I use a good Porta Cable 690 router. I can switch the collets and use 1/4" bits or 1/2" bits and when routing larger wood stock you want that 1/2" bit for sure. No flex or vibration. The money is in the router. Whenever I buy tools I buy the best I can afford but also look beyond the project I want to use it on. I can take the router off the table and use hand held. The trim routers are just that trim routers and are not designed for heavy use. Have 3 Bosch trim routers and they are great.

Router tables can be had off ebay such as the black and decker or even craftsman. I will be using this set up next week as I rout many projects for my show. Will be using roundover bits and also detailed bits. But very easy to change out. I have no idea about that table but for me i would not even consider it. Too small a router for me on a table.

leehljp

Member Liaison
The MLCS router/table is the right one. I'm ordering one. I have a 1/4" HF trim router and I could cobble up a table but that's what it would be, cobbled. Now I am rounding over free-hand. Not the way to do it. Thanks for the information.

I do believe you will find the MLCS trim router to be better quality and smoother than the HF one.

Top Bottom