PSI Duplicator Cutters

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

KiwiBob

The replacement cutters from PSI are very expensive.
I was thinking of making some out of HSS drill and was wondering if anyone had done this and if it was successful?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

its_virgil

I just looked at them on the website. Ouch! I would think one could purchase the proper size HSS tool stock and mb are their own. No, I have not done it but it does seem to be easily doable. Good luck.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

More4dan

I grind my own cutters from HSS for cutting metal. For wood or acrylic you could use Drill Rod and grind the tip then heat above the temp where a magnet doesn't stick to it and quench it in water or veg oil. This is how I make my own taps for cutting metal. The only real advantage of HSS is it doesn't loose it's hardness at temperatures where the bit gets red hot. O1 or W1 drill rod will hold it's hardness/temper at 400 F about the temperature your wood catches on fire and your acrylic has begun melting away. Drill rod can be had in almost any diameter.

Sources:
Online Metals (higher volumes)
1/4" W1 (water quench) is about $19 for 15 feet (5 x 3 feet rods)
https://www.onlinemetals.com/merchant.cfm?pid=4655&step=4&showunits=inches&id=160&top_cat=1354

or search EBay
1/4" O1 (oil quench) for $4 for 1 x 3 feet

https://www.ebay.com/itm/O1D146-Oil-Hard-Drill-Rod-O1-1-4-0-25-In-/331332883350

Just find a diameter that matches the cutter you are replacing.

Danny

Last edited:

KiwiBob

I made some yesterday out of 5mm drill bit.
I also made an adaptor to hold the small cutter in my Wolverine sharpening jig to help get the correct angle.
I made some with diamond shaped tip and some round like a gouge both work just fine.
The finished cut seems better than the original PSI cutter.
Total cost was $3.00 for two 5mm drill bits and about 30min of workshop time.
If I had access to a metal lathe and mill I could have made a better job but hey they work and the price is just right!!!!

dogcatcher

Looks like it.
But the price?????? then I have to add shipping to me in New Zealand and that will add another $15-20

Take the bit out and go to a local machine shop, they will have either HSS or some steel that can be heat treated in the size you need. Easiest is HSS steel. Then grind to shape.

Curly

The problem with drill bits, even HSS, is that the unfluted area is usually soft or drill chucks wouldn't hold them. They will still last a while but you're able to resharpen as needed. If you poke around AliExpress or Ebay you can find HSS and even Cobalt round lathe bit stock from 2" or 3" and longer that are hardened. They are just a few dollars or so each. Then you can have longer lasting cutters in any profile you like, even multiples.

Top Bottom