PSI disc sharpener

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Firebucket53

Disc sharpener.

I bought the disc sharpener from PSI. The Sandpaper is not very good and it is hard to hold any tools to get a good sharpen Edge. It works fine as a sander but not for sharpening tools. Put that money into a better system. I do not recommend it for sharpening tools.

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
I use a Harbor Freight 4x36 belt sander to sharpen my tools. I use it in the vertical position & reverse the direction of the belt so it moves away from the tool being sharpened.

Here's a tutorial on how you can set one up. I pretty much followed this guide, but for now, I just free-hand my sharpening. I may build a table & some jigs one day, but they aren't absolutely necessary.

Attachments

• DIYBeltSharpeningSystem_Dec2012_AAW_Journal(1).pdf
    311 KB · Views: 252

magpens

Edgar, thanks very much for posting that link !

It looks like the twisted belt rubs on itself where it crosses. Is that a problem, and if so how do you overcome that ?

JimB

It looks like the twisted belt rubs on itself where it crosses. Is that a problem, and if so how do you overcome that ?

The author of that article is a member of my local club. According to him, although the belt does rub, it isn't an issue. He is a full time Turner and sharpens almost all his tools on it.

dogcatcher

I have a disc set up for my travel lathe, a Taig. I sharpen both my woodturning chisels and my metal cutting tooling bits using a angle jig like the, Reed Gray aka Robo Hippy jig for grinders. It is almost a freehand system. Robo Rest OW (Oneway Compatible)

I had planned on making a belt sander attachment for the Taig, but after about 10 years and still no attachment I may just give u on it.

monophoto

I've seen the concept in a number of web postings and YouTube videos. I purchased a 5" hook & loop sanding disk at Harbor Freight, and attached it to a threaded block that screws onto my headstock. It works OK - I use it for shaping more than sharpening. It's especially effective with tools like skews - if you drop them on the floor, Murphy's Law says that they will always land on the toe such that the entire edge has to be reshaped, and this is a good tool to use for that task. Final sharpening, including the 'real time' tuneup that is required during the course of a project, is done on a diamond hone.

I also have a platform that mounts on my banjo so that I can use the disk to sand components of glueups. Works well for that also.

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member

Like Jim noted, it does rub a little, but it's not a problem.

I wouldn't recommend the HF machine for standard sanding because it's a real pain to change the sanding belt. You have to remove about 10 screws to take off the bottom dust collection shroud & the rear sanding belt guard in order to slide sanding belts off & on. However, neither of those are needed when the machine is used as a tool sharpener, so I just permanently removed them.

All I've done so far is remove those two items & twist the belt. I may add a table & jigs and a honing wheel later, but for now, I just sharpen free-handed & hone with my diamond files.

Top Bottom