Proxxon Chop Saw

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Cwalker935

Does anyone have experience with the proxxon chop saw? My old chop saw is dying I am looking for a replacement that has a small footprint. Is the proxxon suitable for segmenting? Can you set it up to cut small repeatable segments?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

Does anyone have experience with the proxxon chop saw? My old chop saw is dying I am looking for a replacement that has a small footprint. Is the proxxon suitable for segmenting? Can you set it up to cut small repeatable segments?

The saw you have now what is it?? Have you used for segmenting?? When you say segmenting how detailed are you talking?? If just cutting small chunks then it will be fine. No I do not have the saw but I do all my segmenting on a tablesaw where it is right in front of me and I can view all aspects of the cut. To me you get blinded somewhat by the motor when cutting even though you clamp things. With a tablesaw you can make various sleds and do a whole lot more with it. That saw just by the photo is not a real accurate saw and maybe a small tablesaw may do better for you. One of those model saws. Just an opinion.:):)

www.woodcraft.com/products/proxxon-...MItY3Ry9Gb3wIVF1mGCh3MOQtVEAQYAiABEgLUCvD_BwE

Cwalker935

The saw you have now what is it?? Have you used for segmenting?? When you say segmenting how detailed are you talking?? If just cutting small chunks then it will be fine. No I do not have the saw but I do all my segmenting on a tablesaw where it is right in front of me and I can view all aspects of the cut. To me you get blinded somewhat by the motor when cutting even though you clamp things. With a tablesaw you can make various sleds and do a whole lot more with it. That saw just by the photo is not a real accurate saw and maybe a small tablesaw may do better for you. One of those model saws. Just an opinion.:):)

www.woodcraft.com/products/proxxon-...MItY3Ry9Gb3wIVF1mGCh3MOQtVEAQYAiABEgLUCvD_BwE

I do segmenting on a table saw now. The description of this saw describes it as a model saw and implies that it is accurate. That and it's smaller size is what caught my interest.

jttheclockman

I do segmenting on a table saw now. The description of this saw describes it as a model saw and implies that it is accurate. That and it's smaller size is what caught my interest.

Ok cool. For a cutoff saw I am sure it will do what you want. There are only 4 reviews under that link I shown and they are 50/50 so I guess it would be best if someone here that has that saw give a better review. Good luck.

BKelley

i Don't do any real complicated segmenting, so I 'm not qualified to answering your question about the Proxxon Chop Saw being used for segmenting. However, I do own one of these saws and it is a great little tool. It will cut African black wood very well, nice smooth cuts and is accurate. I did make a stop for mine that I think is better for pen turners than the factory furnished one. Also, using the proper blade it cuts brass tubes better than anything I've tried and dead on the money. A good tool my money well spent.

Ben

Woodchipper

Looked at the saw from the WC link. That is expensive for a small saw, IMHO. May work for what is needed for segmented. I don't segment....yet. But want to try it as I have a lot of pens I want to make to sell.

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
I have two Proxxon products....not this saw.
I have to say I'm not a massive fan. To me they are overpriced, over rated, underpowered and only slightly better than the cheapo alternatives.

I'd do as John suggested and get a small table saw with a few decent sleds.

Mikeyt

I have the proxxon chop saw and have to say I loved it. I am able to cut pen blanks and bronze and aluminum rod with no issues at all. I used it to make cuts for segmenting and other cuts I needed. Overall it is a great saw worth every penny for what it does I feel it is safer and better for pen making then other saws. If you have the money I would suggest the byrnes table saw but it is double the price. But for cutting pen blanks and other small items the proxxon is a great chop saw. I think that it has saved me cutting off my fingers many times.

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

jttheclockman

I have the proxxon chop saw and have to say I loved it. I am able to cut pen blanks and bronze and aluminum rod with no issues at all. I used it to make cuts for segmenting and other cuts I needed. Overall it is a great saw worth every penny for what it does I feel it is safer and better for pen making then other saws. If you have the money I would suggest the byrnes table saw but it is double the price. But for cutting pen blanks and other small items the proxxon is a great chop saw. I think that it has saved me cutting off my fingers many times.

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

Here is the key words. :):)

I do every ounce of segmenting on either my bandsaw, tablesaw or lathe. My chop saw is a Delta 10" model and I use it for rough cutting. I would love to have a Festool Kapex saw but that is one of those over reaching the money tree.

Last edited:

TonyL

I own it and like it, but I just use it for making straight cuts on blanks (somewhat overkill). I find a sled and ultra thin kerf blade much better for angled segmenting, but I am not a "heavy" segmenter. The proxxon also has some depth of cut limitations - especially when not at 90 degrees.

WriteON

I cannot saw anymore. Shoulder just got replaced....blah blah.... Any reason not buy a Proxxon aside from price? Will be solely for acrylic and wood blanks. Talk me into it. Thanks, Frank

jttheclockman

You revised a 2 year old thread. You can read the above reviews from some people. Now to me a waste of money to cut blanks Get a tabletop bandsaw if that is all you want to do. Those are not the best either but at least you can cut larger material and do more intricate cuts if you get the saw to tune correctly. No I have no recommendations of those either. But if boxed in a corner here is my pick hands down.
https://www.amazon.com/Rikon-10-305...61&imprToken=2aHMUaNUE4SKRU8QCUccqQ&slotNum=6

TonyL

I cannot saw anymore. Shoulder just got replaced....blah blah.... Any reason not buy a Proxxon aside from price? Will be solely for acrylic and wood blanks. Talk me into it. Thanks, Frank
I use it to cut blanks...just straight cuts. at 90 degrees it can cut up to 1 inch thick. I like it, but it is a little hard to see where i am cutting unless I get down to eye level. Remember, I am just using it to cut blanks. I also replaced the stock blade with a carbide one.

I should add that recently, I set up my TT BS (after having it in a box, unopened for 3 years). I do like it to cut blanks too, but i don't regret the proxxon purchase,

WriteON

I use it to cut blanks...just straight cuts. at 90 degrees it can cut up to 1 inch thick. I like it, but it is a little hard to see where i am cutting unless I get down to eye level. Remember, I am just using it to cut blanks. I also replaced the stock blade with a carbide one.

I should add that recently, I set up my TT BS (after having it in a box, unopened for 3 years). I do like it to cut blanks too, but i don't regret the proxxon purchase,
What is TT BS? also what is this ...is it the same saw but a package? https://www.micromark.com/Proxxon-Heavy-Duty-Miter-Chop-Saw-Super-Value-Package

WriteON

You revised a 2 year old thread. You can read the above reviews from some people. Now to me a waste of money to cut blanks Get a tabletop bandsaw if that is all you want to do. Those are not the best either but at least you can cut larger material and do more intricate cuts if you get the saw to tune correctly. No I have no recommendations of those either. But if boxed in a corner here is my pick hands down.
https://www.amazon.com/Rikon-10-305...61&imprToken=2aHMUaNUE4SKRU8QCUccqQ&slotNum=6
Hi. JT. I did not want to start another same subject thread. Plus I knew Tony L. would talk me into getting one. Tony is a positive force and expensive friend. Friends do not let friends not buy stuff.

TonyL

You can always count me if you are on the fence and if I am not available..... get it! I am still trying to get the woodpecker mandrel even though I turn between centers. I don't want to wait until 7/1.

Then my beautiful wife (and saintly) suggested we order one of those lung capacity meters, and I tell that we don't need that. Funny (and stupid).

Frank, don't forget to buy all the accessories (teasing).

jttheclockman

Hi. JT. I did not want to start another same subject thread. Plus I knew Tony L. would talk me into getting one. Tony is a positive force and expensive friend. Friends do not let friends not buy stuff.
Gee you are easy. Shop the price around. Lots of places way cheaper than micromark.

WriteON

My Review is simple. Should have bought it the day I cut my first blank. It's that good. Used it on acrylic. Works like a champ. Love it.

Top Bottom